Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Trx450er the weight for the decompression system is in the way so you can not use a cam sprocket holding tool. My Clymer manual says to use a flywheel holding tool but I remember reading about putting the quad in gear, holding the brake, and using an Allen key to hold the crankshaft so I can break the cam sprocket bolts loose. This sounds good to me but I don’t want to strip the crankshaft where the Allen key fits in to turn it over. You guys ever do it this way? Will the Allen key strip the crank?

·
Truck Yea
5,432 Posts
take off the inspection cover for the crank on the left side of the motor and using a socket and ratchet hold it there. that allen key hole is for a cover for the crank. nothing more

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inspection cover for the crank is on the right hand side of the quad to the right of the clutch cover...It is a 10mm hex for the cover and there is a 8mm hex behind the cover on the primary drive gear mounting bolt used to turn the crankshaft over..... I remember hearing people hold the crankshaft in place by holding on it with a hex while they break the cam sprocket bolts loose. I want to know if the primary drive gear mounting bolt will strip or loosen up.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
It torques way way higher than the cam sprocket so it should not loosen. I have done it this way many times. If you have a small impact or cordless impact you can probably zip them off with it without having to hold the motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts