Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, already asked questions about the 450 in the past, but now that I have the money to afford one, I think it would be a wise choice to ask your opinion before buying one. Which year seems to be the best ? I know it mostly comes down to the maintenance your are doing to it and how you are using it. I'm still trying to figure out if I should go with the electric start. My main choice would be the 2005 model, which I saw that they are (apparently) exactly similar - in terms of mechanic - to their previous model, the 04'. They also come with the kickstart, which would be my favorite option, since I always hated the issues I had with battery, starter, etc. Also, it might be stupid, but I hate the sound of a starter. I've heard a lot of good thing on the 2005 and it seems pretty reliable, of course, there's the rod bearing issue, which I am aware of. So, from your previous experiences, what would you suggest me ?

·
Truck Yea
5,683 Posts
I had an 04 and I liked it, kicker is a bit annoying sometimes if you stall tho. I built up the engine and it was ok. I think the downside was the butterfly carb they use vs the 06+ having the FCR carb.

I prefer the 06+ and currently have one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an 04 and I liked it, kicker is a bit annoying sometimes if you stall tho. I built up the engine and it was ok. I think the downside was the butterfly carb they use vs the 06+ having the FCR carb.

I prefer the 06+ and currently have one.
I checked for some informations about the kicker conversion on eletric model, saw a few people post about it but haven't gathered much about it, haha. Didn't know that about the carb, thanks for the info man. If I do go with an 05', what are the best thing to do right away ? Would like to keep the engine as stock as possible, but jets + new exhaust could be an idea.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
04/05 with a 06 or newer swingarm, rear shock and linkage is the best. You can put a FCR on the 04/05. Transmission is better in the 04/05.

There are only 2 Honda TRX450R's
1st gen- 2004-2005
2nd gen- 2006-2014
2nd gen can be broken down to 2006-2007 and 2008,2009,2012-2014. Minor changes in 2008.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
04/05 with a 06 or newer swingarm, rear shock and linkage is the best. You can put a FCR on the 04/05. Transmission is better in the 04/05.

1st gen- 2004-2005
2nd gen- 2006-2014
2nd gen can be broken down to 2006-2007 and 2008,2009,2012-2014. Minor changes in 2008.
Thanks for the reply man!

Apart from the crank bearing, I believe there's not many common issue ? As CJM said, FCR would be a great upgrade and I wasn't aware of the swing arm & rear shock. The swing arm is longer I believe ? I knew 450' front shocks are a great upgrade to a 400EX, but didn't know there was an actual difference between the different 450' model.

My main priority is the frame and the engine. Would like to keep the engine as stock as possible since I do not race.

·
Registered
10 Posts

1st gen- 2004-2005
2nd gen- 2006-2014
what make the transmission in the 04-05 better then the 06+

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
The 04/05 tranny is a 4 dog and the newer is 3 so it's stronger

I also didn't want to mess with electric start, battery, one way bearing, ect so I have a few 04's all still on original cranks and over the years I have seen plenty of 06+ cranks go out.

The 06+ swing arm is less then an inch longer but it would help! the stock shock and linkage of the 05 is just as good as the newer ones but if you swap to the longer swingarm you need to swap the shock and link. In other words putting a 06+ shock and link is not an upgrade and would make things much worse! but is an upgrade if you do the swingarm.

If you don't have plans to build the motor then no need to swap to an fcr. Lots of woods racers pulled the fcr off and used the 04/05 carb because of smoother throttle responce.

As far as must do's, rebuild the top end, check the crank when your in there, a 12-1 JE or CP stock bore piston, full exhaust, (a slip on is just for sound) hrc lid, or remove the lid, hrc jetting. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The 04/05 tranny is a 4 dog and the newer is 3 so it's stronger

I also didn't want to mess with electric start, battery, one way bearing, ect so I have a few 04's all still on original cranks and over the years I have seen plenty of 06+ cranks go out.

The 06+ swing arm is less then an inch longer but it would help! the stock shock and linkage of the 05 is just as good as the newer ones but if you swap to the longer swingarm you need to swap the shock and link. In other words putting a 06+ shock and link is not an upgrade and would make things much worse! but is an upgrade if you do the swingarm.

If you don't have plans to build the motor then no need to swap to an fcr. Lots of woods racers pulled the fcr off and used the 04/05 carb because of smoother throttle responce.

As far as must do's, rebuild the top end, check the crank when your in there, a 12-1 JE or CP stock bore piston, full exhaust, (a slip on is just for sound) hrc lid, or remove the lid, hrc jetting. Have fun with it!
Wanted to go with a 05 since the beginning. Will probably stick to this initial idea. The engine is my main priority & the frame is also super important. Next week I am supposed to go see a few of them. Haven't seen many that are affordable, mostly 3k+ for an 05 with pretty much nothing done to it. 3000-3500+ CAD isn't what I expect to pay, apart if the machine is in mint condition. I don't put my expectation too up since, well, it's an 05, but there's always some exception. We'll see ? if anybody else has anything to recommend, feel free to PM or post here.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
It seems bone stock and built go for almost the same money around here. I'm going to sell one of mine with houser arms, gtt shocks, 57hp 480, g force axle, ac nerfs, entry to mid level race ready for 3,500 if it were bone stock it would go for 2500-3000 but a arms, shocks, axle, porting, exhaust, intake, fcr, cylinder, cp piston, steering stabilizer, bars, nerfs, extra sand tires, would cost 3000-4500 depending on how much was new or used.
I would say find someone like me who has moved on to sxs or something else and buy one that is built.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just bought 04 last December and have ridden it throughout the winter here in Michigan from heavy snow and icy trails with great results! Starts easily first kick and tank of gas lasts most of a good hard ride compared to my lt500 zilla and trx250r 2 strokes, always guzzling the more expensive premium or racing fuel!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought 04 last December and have ridden it throughout the winter here in Michigan from heavy snow and icy trails with great results! Starts easily first kick and tank of gas lasts most of a good hard ride compared to my lt500 zilla and trx250r 2 strokes, always guzzling the more expensive premium or racing fuel!
In two days I'm going to go take a look at an 04' which I could get for cheap. The bike is pretty darn neat and doesn't have anything wrong apart the two back tires, which I could still use for this summer, and also the frame with a few spots of surface rust, which I don't like that much but I haven't seen it in person. Will post back once I've taken a look at it. Sadly, the owner lives 200km+ from where I live, oh well, going to be a nice day looking at the things to buy on the side of the road :lol2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts