Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie to site this place rocks... anyways haven't rode in a few years i have been looking at the honda and the yamaha.. i will just mainly be trail riding with a few XC races here and there buit mainly riding in the woods an on the trails... i could care less about having to kick start one or not so that issue is no big deal i have read in many mags that the yfz makes the rider have to ride more aggresive but with the trx they have been saying that the gears are to far apart an is geared high with is no big deal either cuz can always change sprockets but what about the issue with the tranny being spread out to far inbetween gears and also which one has a stronger frame cuz i am a big guy want to get something that will take it..

any help will be appreacaited

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Let me preface this with --- they're both great quads, while neither makes a very good "investment" both are great fun to ride and are very competitive.

That said - the answer to your main question of which has the stronger frame - no question here, without any doubt the TRX has a much stronger chassis.

Gearing - when you go to lower gearing with sprocket changes, the gearing becomes tighter. If the gear spacing were perfect but overall gearing was too high --- gear spacing would become too tight when you changed sprockets.

That said, gear spacing is very similar between the YFZ and 450R when sprocket sizes give them the same final drive in top gear.

Now - differences in the two - strengths and weaknesses, my honest opinions (being a TRX owner)

Rear Suspension -- the YFZ does have an advantage here. It has a longer rear shock and appears to have more attention paid to it's rear suspension design. That's not to say that the TRX is all that bad - it just takes a little more work to get the TRX rear dialed in.

Power - with a few small mods the YFZ is faster than a TRX. However, I think that ultimately the TRX has more potential in it. Right now my TRX with an HRC kit (stock exhaust with HRC tip) is very close in a 300' drag to a cam modded YFZ with a full pipe. In fact, most races go either way - whoever gets the best holeshot or shifts perfectly. My TRX seems to holeshot more often than any of the YFZs I race with - maybe rider? maybe setup? Maybe power delivery?

I like the power of both engines - but they seem to output their power quite a bit differently - I can't exactly put my finger on the differences, but both put out very fun to ride and useable power.

Front end --- I like the front end of the TRX a little better than the YFZ. The TRX has the advantage of having longer front shocks, more rake, great scrub, and a very nice overall setup that prevents binding of components at extreme travel at both ends.

All in all - I think the TRX will be more problem free over the long haul and parts are definitely MUCH cheaper.

To decide which to buy, you just have to decide what's important to you:

YFZ Pros
Good rear suspension
Good engine power with minimal mods
Good low center of gravity with stock setup
Good brakes
E-start

YFZ Cons
Various problems with chassis and electrical
Yamaha pattern wheels (depends on if you're coming off a Honda)
Brick hard rear seat (they may have addressed this in 2005)
Cramped Ergos for bigger riders
Expensive replacement parts
No backup kicker without spending a lot of extra cash

TRX Pros
Good engine potential
Great chassis integrity
Awesome brakes
Good front end
Good seat
Comfortable Ergos
Cheap replacement parts
Easy kickstarting

TRX Cons
YFZ has more power from easy mods
While I believe the TRX has more potential - you have to spend some cash to get it.
Rear end needs some work for most riders
A little bit taller stock setup leads to wheelies and not quite as stable as YFZ
Stock Raptor rear tires hook up good but suck for aggressive riding
No e-starter
Stock gearing is great for 18" tires but not good for woods riding on 20" tires - easily fixed with a sprocket change.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i agree with 86atc 100% awesome review...now go read dirtwheels & they will tell you the YFZ is 100x's better & a trx can never beat it...EVER

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 3 2004, 03:37 PM
Let me preface this with --- they're both great quads, while neither makes a very good "investment" both are great fun to ride and are very competitive.

That said - the answer to your main question of which has the stronger frame - no question here, without any doubt the TRX has a much stronger chassis.

Gearing - when you go to lower gearing with sprocket changes, the gearing becomes tighter.  If the gear spacing were perfect but overall gearing was too high --- gear spacing would become too tight when you changed sprockets.

That said, gear spacing is very similar between the YFZ and 450R when sprocket sizes give them the same final drive in top gear.

Now - differences in the two - strengths and weaknesses, my honest opinions (being a TRX owner)

Rear Suspension -- the YFZ does have an advantage here.  It has a longer rear shock and appears to have more attention paid to it's rear suspension design.  That's not to say that the TRX is all that bad - it just takes a little more work to get the TRX rear dialed in.

Power - with a few small mods the YFZ is faster than a TRX.  However, I think that ultimately the TRX has more potential in it. Right now my TRX with an HRC kit (stock exhaust with HRC tip) is very close in a 300' drag to a cam modded YFZ with a full pipe. In fact, most races go either way - whoever gets the best holeshot or shifts perfectly.  My TRX seems to holeshot more often than any of the YFZs I race with - maybe rider?  maybe setup?  Maybe power delivery?

I like the power of both engines - but they seem to output their power quite a bit differently - I can't exactly put my finger on the differences, but both put out very fun to ride and useable power.

Front end --- I like the front end of the TRX a little better than the YFZ.  The TRX has the advantage of having longer front shocks, more rake, great scrub, and a very nice overall setup that prevents binding of components at extreme travel at both ends.

All in all - I think the TRX will be more problem free over the long haul and parts are definitely MUCH cheaper. 

To decide which to buy, you just have to decide what's important to you:

YFZ Pros
Good rear suspension
Good engine power with minimal mods
Good low center of gravity with stock setup
Good brakes
E-start

YFZ Cons
Various problems with chassis and electrical
Yamaha pattern wheels (depends on if you're coming off a Honda)
Brick hard rear seat (they may have addressed this in 2005)
Cramped Ergos for bigger riders
Expensive replacement parts
No backup kicker without spending a lot of extra cash

TRX Pros
Good engine potential
Great chassis integrity
Awesome brakes
Good front end
Good seat
Comfortable Ergos
Cheap replacement parts
Easy kickstarting

TRX Cons
YFZ has more power from easy mods
While I believe the TRX has more potential - you have to spend some cash to get it.
Rear end needs some work for most riders
A little bit taller stock setup leads to wheelies and not quite as stable as YFZ
Stock Raptor rear tires hook up good  but suck for aggressive riding
No e-starter
Stock gearing is great for 18" tires but not good for woods riding on 20" tires - easily fixed with a sprocket change.
I know the difference in power delivery between the TRX and the YFZ...I have quite a bit of seat time on a YFZ, and I own a TRX so I have alot of seat time on it.....the problem with the YFZ is its very hard to start, at least the one I ride is...I can kick start the TRX way before he gets his YFZ started....its like the starter does not have enought power to spin the motor.....But as far as power delivery the TRX has its power right from the get go...there is not lag time....On the YFZ you have to wait for the engine RPM's to get up before it starts to pull. That explains the TRX getting most of the hole shots....And finally, I have to disagree about YFZ having more power in stock form....My TRX will run circles around his YFZ....My freinds piped banshee even beats it...Again this YFZ is stock....mine was stock for a while and he had nothing on me....My opinion is the power delivery is so much better on the TRX that if you know how to ride it right. the YFZ dont really stay up....I beat him by at least 1 bike lenght in every race...The Stock YFZ exhaust sucks bad....one big advantage for the YFZ is to pipe it...that helps it quite a bit, compared to piping the TRX....the Stock TRX exhaust is just way better then the stock YFZ exhaust....

Also, the YFZ may have a tad bit more horsepower on the top of the power curve...but from 0 up to the top of that curve the TRX has more horsepower.....also the TRX has way more tourque during the entire power band....from start to finish the TRX has alot more torque.....thats another reason it like to get the hole shot....Once the TRX gets the hole shot, if you know how to ride it and when to shift at the right time....the YFZ wont ever catchup....

and this is from experience....not just talking out of my A&&...later. B)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
keep em coming guys trying to figure out which i would be better buying i plan on buying within the next 2 weeks or as soon as i make up my mind keep in mind i am a big guy i weigh in at about 260 and 6'0" that was the reason i was wondering about the frame strength that was the reason i said a better investment but i want something that will carry the mail

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by biggie@Jul 8 2004, 08:48 PM
keep em coming guys trying to figure out which i would be better buying i plan on buying within the next 2 weeks or as soon as i make up my mind keep in mind i am a big guy i weigh in at about 260 and 6'0" that was the reason i was wondering about the frame strength that was the reason i said a better investment  but i want something that will carry the mail
then there are 2 more reasons you want the TRX....Frame strength, and ergonomics.....the YFZ is not comfortable for big guys. I am 6 ft 1in, 200 pounds and my knees hit the YFZ handle bars when I turn....as a matter of fact the bars are so close when John G. did the back flip on his YFZ he actually didnt land it until his 3rd attempt...I think...but anyway what happened on his 2nd attempt is his knee hit the ignition and turned it off in mid air.....I think that what I read.......and on his 3rd or 4th attempt, the first time he actually landed it, he broke the thumb throttle on the landing.....I dont think either of those things would have happend on the TRX>....there is no way your kneee will hit the key on this thing.....or the handlebars for that matter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Originally posted by biggie@Jul 8 2004, 08:48 PM
keep em coming guys trying to figure out which i would be better buying i plan on buying within the next 2 weeks or as soon as i make up my mind keep in mind i am a big guy i weigh in at about 260 and 6'0" that was the reason i was wondering about the frame strength that was the reason i said a better investment  but i want something that will carry the mail
You can't by the honda,it's max weight capacity is 243 lbs
. Just kidding... but I'm really not it says it in the manual. Thats one reason I bought the honda was the comfort and feel when i sat on it(roomy). I'm 5' 11 220lbs and felt cramped up on the yamaha so i know you would be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got the honda 450r yesterday dealer had it with prm bumper an grab bar an ac pro peg nerfs and a PC t4 pipe on it i didn't want the pipe so i made them take it back off an put stock back on will post pics soon got it for 6131

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honda 450s r not that great my brother has it and its stock my yfz smokes it its not even funny id rather get the yfz

but it mite be the better take off but i like both quads cause they rip

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Stock for stock I haven't seen one really have much of an advantage over the other.

Two things you must consider when comparing the two....

The TRX is much taller geared from the factory

The TRX throttle cable is not adjusted properly to reach full throttle from the factory. Unless your dealer fixes it during PDI (most don't) you do not get full throttle.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
If you by a YFZ, you will be sorry when a more comfortable, reliable 450R go's flyin by you. Add a couple mods to the 450R and the YFZ won't have a chance. My 450R has beaten many YFZ's! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Jul 23 2004, 06:05 PM
If you by a YFZ, you will be sorry when a more comfortable, reliable 450R go's flyin by you. Add a couple mods to the 450R and the YFZ won't have a chance. My 450R has beaten many YFZ's! :D
Well, well... I just joined this lovely site and it sure seems that there is some confusion going on. I have waited for a TRX to even touch my YFZ out to Little Sahara Utah. I alone have raced dozens and to be honest, I have been very dissapointed. From stock to only $600.00 into my mods not one TRX has come close. If you all think different come on out to LS Utah and I would be happy to see anything different.

Sure the seat is a bit hard but hey, a very small sacrafice for what ya get. :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by XVIZIS+Jul 27 2004, 12:56 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Rico'450R
@Jul 23 2004, 06:05 PM
Well, well... I just joined this lovely site and it sure seems that there is some confusion going on. I have waited for a TRX to even touch my YFZ out to Little Sahara Utah. I alone have raced dozens and to be honest, I have been very dissapointed. From stock to only $600.00 into my mods not one TRX has come close. If you all think different come on out to LS Utah and I would be happy to see anything different.

Sure the seat is a bit hard but hey, a very small sacrafice for what ya get. :D [/b]
I can already tell this guy is going to give us trouble. ok, if a moderator doesnt say it, i will, we dont want people that are just going to come on here and cause us trouble. Its one thing to state experiences, its another thing to be cocky. we dont need cocky riders coming in here, ok? With that said, maybe you will think a little more before you post in a place where about 99% of the riders are trx riders. the other 1% is 3 yfz riders, which 2 arent cocky and dont cause trouble but 1 does, you. Btw, in your sig, where you wrote, "this is only the beginning", well it will be the end for you in this forum if you dont change your attitude.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts