Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know but I can't beat a yzf 450, My bike is stock and i weight 330 lbs. pretty stout huh anyways I know it's not rider advantage. I have beaten up on a couple of banshees, predators, raptors, ltz 400, 400 ex, but i've race a couple of yzf 450 and they just beat up on me. one was stock and the other had a gtyr pipe "I think that's the brand" yamaha brand, also he had the "cam trick" done to it, it's suppose to be where the engine is suppose to run like a dirt bike motor? that's what my buddy said to me. he said it's on Kory Ellis web site or somewhere? But he would just leave me like 4-6 bike lengths. just wondering if any of you guy out there out ran one? And if so what have you done to your bike to go faster. I'm thinking about buying the hrc kit and yoshi pipe with a lighter flywheel i think that what a couple of you guys said to do to make it rev faster and then maybe a rev box and then maybe a lighter chain and sprocket sets. also any other suggestions: but i also know i out weight him probably good 120 lbs. so that would be hard to make up. any idea i would appreciate, I can't wait to see his face when i kick his butt. He always tell me i should have bought blue. what a butt head., but i will give him props, it is defiently a fast machine. thanks alot guys

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have been beat a couple of times but that was before I had it dialed in. I raced my neighbor, 14yrs old and weighs 140-150lbs, He has the LTE dual exhaust, filter etc no cam mod. Down our street it was dead even, every time. I have the HRC cam, LRD Pro series full system, K&N, 13th front sprocket and I weigh about 60-70 lbs more then him. So it is possible to beat them just have to have it dialed in.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 400ex4ever@Sep 10 2004, 11:24 AM
I have been beat a couple of times but that was before I had it dialed in. I raced my neighbor, 14yrs old and weighs 140-150lbs, He has the LTE dual exhaust, filter etc no cam mod. Down our street it was dead even, every time. I have the HRC cam, LRD Pro series full system, K&N, 13th front sprocket and I weigh about 60-70 lbs more then him. So it is possible to beat them just have to have it dialed in.
I bet if you put your 14 tooth sprocket back on and race him down the street again, you will beat him!...I found that once modded out like you have it, the bike is quite a bit faster with the 14 tooth sprocket then it is with the 13 tooth. ...The bike is over geared with the 13 tooth sprocket, once you have mods that is. Stock the 13 tooth does help. but once you open it up, put the 14 back on...if you dont believe me try it...later. B)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have beat a stock yfz, and a Curtis Sparks Piped yfz, but the piped was a dumbass because he went down a jet size when he put the pipe on. I had a little bit of a weight advantage. I have a 13 tooth on mine also

·
Registered
16 Posts
just what lude says, go with the stock sprocket and it will be alot better. So can a 450r with esr eliminator box, sparks exhaust and the hrc cam keep up with a yfz with same esr and sparks exhaust but got his cam moded? thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
ok, my buddy just bought a 2005 yfz. THe only mods it has is the gtyr filter . My 450r has hmf full, sparks racing filter, and is jetted. We draged the other day down the pavement and i beat him by about 6 lengths. He actaully got the start on me by about 2 lengths and then i went right by him. He does weigh about 75-85 lbs more than me, but i thought the yammi was supposed to be so great. I was not too impressed. When i took it for a ride, it seemed to top out too quikly, as for the honda seemed like it keep goin forever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
oh what i mean of keep up is 1 or 2 quads length behind the yfz. we basically drag in sand for 500 ft long. But that was when i had that freakin 15 sprocket in front but i start creepin up at the end of the race but its not long enough! thanks

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
the rule of thumb is 10lbs=1hp. if a rider and machine combo weighs 80lbs more than another, even if the machines are identical (rider reflexes too) that equates to an eight hp disadvantage for the heavier setup.

now comes the big confession. i have an 05 yfz also. there i said it. don't boot me off the site.

right now my trx will walk it. the yfz won't be as modded as the trx for a while since i am not done testing pipe configurations and jetting combos. but i can honestly say that the yamaha does respond to hop-ups with greater result than the honda. the dyno runs also give no indication that this won't be true for every stage of modification.

anyone tuning their own machines invests ego in the fact that no matter what brand they are modding they want theirs to be faster than all other tuners incarnations of that machine. that is a tuners form of competition.

as a tuner i attack all hop-ups without bias. however, as a human, my left shoulder is emblazoned with a honda wing.......................mixxer

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I know is that there were also 3 other trx and none of them could touch the yzf 450, buy the way it was drag racing at laurel IN, Haspin Acres, if any one is familiar with that place. The only mod was a pipe, gtyr, free cam trick and I know for a fact it isn't even jetted, i don't know if that will make him run any faster if he does finally jet it. and a uni filter. And no one could touch it. other yzf, predator, raptors, banshees, stroked banshees, trx 450 r nothing, and it kinda pisses me off. that why when people say they beat one like it's nothing i don't get it?

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
that's what i've been trying to tell everyone. assuming equal rider weight and talent, the yfz is faster and due to it's more radical state of stock tune, it responds better to the bolt on hop-ups

if you win on a yfz it's kind of expected. when you win on the trx people want to know what's going on with your setup............mixxer

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r@Sep 13 2004, 11:02 AM
It comes down to this:

Stock for stock,

YFZ= Higher compression, better cams, and not as corked on fuel/exh ...
TRX= Give it the same compression as YFZ, same cam profile, and bring the fuel/exh inline with YFZ and it should be the winner if you know how to ride the R ...

Also, those that are getting beat on stock R's vs. stock YFZ's are going about it all wrong ... If you're trying to rev out the R, you're gonna lose ... Just like the 400EX stock, it needs to be short shifted and fast ... The YFZ needs to be revved ...

You should be shifting long before he does on the YFZ ... The cam is that weak ...
exactly
............mixxer

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I am familar with Laurel, Indiana. Haspin Acres is about 30 to 35 minutes from me. I get out on the flat drag track every time I go and have great sucess, Last time I was there mattyfz450 and I spanked a piped raptor every time and beat another piped yfz several times a piece also. Matt's has the DMC pipe, aftermarket filter kit, no airbox lid, and I'm not sure about the cam mod, he's never mentioned it but he probably does beings he races. Matt and I raced the track several times and it was always close, I would win one he would win one, I do out weigh Matt by 60 to 65 pounds though. We switched up quads but I couldn't shift his very good due to the location of the shifter, I had on riding boots. The one race that I did shift good on the YFZ he beat me by about 2 to 2 1/2 quads on my R.

It was probably Matt you were racing, was it a white YFZ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, it was a blue one and the he's my buddy, also there was a couple of white ones out there but he waxed them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have raced at least 4 yfz's, all with pipes and mods, cam adjustments. I have never been beaten by one yet, my bike has the curtis sparks, aggresive cam, pipe, sparks filter with no lid, the only bike that has beaten me was a dragged out banshee, a 330 kit 250r, so I dont know what you guys are doing, I weigh 180, so Im not light I have been riding for a long time though. My little brother has the same stuff done as me but he weighs 130 I will beat him in the begining but he catches up right with me at the end.

Most of are racing has been up the hill at the sandunes!

Does any body know where to get a lighter flywheel, trailtech is not available yet
I also need a Hi rev cdi, but not the duncan

Later

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
I see a lot of mumbo jumbo fear in words when I hear folks talk about the YFZ free cam mod ... It's not a big gainer BTW, about 1 HP and it is not a gross gain, but a gain that happens through moving the power curve down in the RPM range ... (They retard the exhaust cam 1 tooth) ... It's not anything like re-camming the quad for gains ... So if a YFZ has or doesn't have the free cam mod, it shouldn't make much difference in a long drag race ...[/b]
That's not a true statement. Check this out, pages 1 and 2.

A 7% gain over stock is not a lot but the difference it makes is.

Tony

1 - 20 of 35 Posts