Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I need some help, I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine on my 07 ER. I have been struggling with this transmission for a day or so. When the main and countershafts are in they will spin wither way for a bit, but lock up. I have put the case back together and tested it. It has every gear, but will not spin in any of them with the cases together and just binds. I did not replace any transmission parts as they are all in spec. I had it together with the cases yesterday and it was working correctly, but i had to pull it back apart because I forgot a part. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Justin

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,221 Posts
Sounds like you got a fork in the wrong groove in the shift drum.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it working again. Kinda stiff to turn by hand with the cases on, but I'm still waiting on the gasket to come in.

·
4,221 Posts
Nothing in these motors should be stiff to turn at all. That tranny should be smooth as butter. You should be able to turn that shift drum by hand and go through the gears carefully with the cases apart. If it doesn’t go through the gears or is stiff something is wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
X2 on what hoser said, should be smoooooth. I have some pretty good closeups of the assembly from different books. Its the only way I got mine back together correctly. These are for 04 trx

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got the cases back together with the trans and crank assembled. It shifts through all the gears fine, but is hard as hell to rotate either the crank or trans.

·
4,221 Posts
And you got the center gasket between the two crankcase halves installed?

·
4,221 Posts
Without being there I can’t tell you what you did wrong, but something is wrong and it needs to be taken apart and figure out what’s going on. Does the crank turn easy when it’s in neutral?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Without being there I can’t tell you what you did wrong, but something is wrong and it needs to be taken apart and figure out what’s going on. Does the crank turn easy when it’s in neutral?
No it does not. Any suggestions? I have a Honda service manual I have followed step for step. The transmission functions like it should. The only issue is the stiffness when trying to turn the crank or sprocket.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
4,221 Posts
Did you install new bearing? It sounds like maybe one isn’t square in the case or something. i would start taking it apart, and as you pull it apart try to see at what point the crank finally starts to spin freely at, you then know what is causing the issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you install new bearing? It sounds like maybe one isn’t square in the case or something. i would start taking it apart, and as you pull it apart try to see at what point the crank finally starts to spin freely at, you then know what is causing the issue.
Sure did all new bearings and seals. I will check that tomorrow and get back with ya. I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took it all down and checked everything, only thing I found was a damaged crank seal. Got it put back together and it's not awful, just wondering how hard it should be to turn by hand. I tried to upload a video, but it says it's too large.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts