Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some times I get stuck inbetween gears when it's hot out and I'm running hard. Would the Honda 80# help with this? Also would it make it harder to shift? If not what about when it starts getting cold here in Michigan?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Arrant@Sep 23 2004, 09:45 AM
Some times I get stuck inbetween gears when it's hot out and I'm running hard. Would the Honda 80# help with this? Also would it make it harder to shift? If not what about when it starts getting cold here in Michigan?
what trans oil are you running now?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i have never gotten stuck between a gear when riding....switch to the honda HP4 oil 85/90 i think..its in the weird red bottle

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Sep 23 2004, 02:32 PM
i have never gotten stuck between a gear when riding....switch to the honda HP4 oil 85/90 i think..its in the weird red bottle
thats what I use...and Ive had no problems.

·
Registered
733 Posts
IMO... oil should not have this kind of effect on a munual tranny. i could see oil related probs with an auto tranny in the valve body, but this sounds mechanical to me.
that said... i have no idea what would make it stick between gears when hot. can you explain further? is there noise associated with the problem? do you have to let the motor wind down before shifting, or do you have to stop and cool down?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had a bent shift shaft, which was caused by the chain coming off and binding up in the front sprocket (which also took second gear out also). I was still able to ride it, wasn't stuck between gears, but after I had it fixed at the dealer, he went to test ride it and it got stuck in first gear and would not come out, had to tear it down again, so I don't know that a bent shift shaft would be the problem.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I used to run Vavaline 10-40 for ATV's which Castrol makes a oil like that too!! But, I was having a hard time getting it into neutral!!
So I switch to Motul and now my tranny works just fine!! :D

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I run the Honda GN4 10-40w in both sides and have no problems. I alos ran it in my 03 and 04 CRF's and both of them never had a problem. I dont think oil selection is a huge issue as opposed to how often you change it.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It happens once is a great while when I'm going through the gears hard and fast. Could be rider error
I go to shift and revvvvvvvvvvv and have to kick it back up. Know what I mean?

I Read some post on here about peoples thoughts on trans oil. I wonder if the 80# makes it harder to shift? it is a lot thicker no? School me I need input cause it's time for a oil change this weekend.

I been using the Honda motor oil in both.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Arrant@Sep 24 2004, 01:09 PM
It happens once is a great while when I'm going through the gears hard and fast. Could be rider error
  I go to shift and revvvvvvvvvvv and have to kick it back up. Know what I mean?

I Read some post on here about peoples thoughts on trans oil. I wonder if the 80# makes it harder to shift? it is a lot thicker no?  School me I need input cause it's time for a oil change this weekend.

I been using the Honda motor oil in both.
Now and then everyone will experience the neutral shift. I would try the Motul 10-40w. I think it's pretty darn good oil. That neutral shift can happen when you don't shift properly. It has happened to me.
P.S. I put a pic of my bumper in my graphic's section of my post for you Arrant!! :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
im going to go another direction from everyone else, but if your running a big mx boot try jacking up your shifter 1 to 2 spline. stopped my missed shifts. just mark a line with a sharpe B) B) also ive had really good luck with mobil one total syn. if you have your break in done.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by WOWA450RRRR@Sep 24 2004, 06:14 PM
im going to go another direction from everyone else, but if your running a big mx boot try jacking up your shifter 1 to 2 spline. stopped my missed shifts. just mark a line with a sharpe B)  B) also ive had really good luck with mobil one total syn. if you have your break in done.
Synthetic in the tranny

·
Registered
11 Posts
I`ve had no problems either with shifting,I use Honda`s HP tranny oil Sae 8oW/85W (32fl oz red bottle, I change it every 2 rides or after a race/mx its cheap insurance Like the guy said move your shifter up a few notches to fit your boot, I wear a size 13 Alpinestars Tech8`s and had to move shifter up ,all better now.Good Luck

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have problems getting into neutral when I come to a stop, when the bike is hot. I was running the HP tranny oil (red bottle) and somebody suggested trying the 10-40 on the tranny side, too. I still have the same problem. I also have the problem of hitting neutral at the wrong time when going from 1st to 2nd, thats really f'in annoying.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Mixxer gave KillerQuad a bottle of RedLine synthetic oil to use in his tranny. we were a little unsure about it but i decided to try it and so far it works great. real smooth with no apparent slipping

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Originally posted by 450RRRR@Sep 24 2004, 06:14 PM
im going to go another direction from everyone else, but if your running a big mx boot try jacking up your shifter 1 to 2 spline. stopped my missed shifts. just mark a line with a sharpe B)  B) also ive had really good luck with mobil one total syn. if you have your break in done.
[snapback]20251[/snapback]​
do you use 10w30 or 10w40 mobil 1?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Originally posted by spincr4hire@Aug 11 2005, 12:07 PM
I have problems getting into neutral when I come to a stop, when the bike is hot. I was running the HP tranny oil (red bottle) and somebody suggested trying the 10-40 on the tranny side, too. I still have the same problem. I also have the problem of hitting neutral at the wrong time when going from 1st to 2nd, thats really f'in annoying.
[snapback]119369[/snapback]​
the reason your having this problem after thebike gets hot is because the oil becomes thin when its hot,so to solve this problem run the thickest oil you can,85w90-90w175,something heavy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Originally posted by D-RACER+Aug 11 2005, 01:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-spincr4hire
@Aug 11 2005, 12:07 PM
[snapback]119369[/snapback]​
the reason your having this problem after thebike gets hot is because the oil becomes thin when its hot,so to solve this problem run the thickest oil you can,85w90-90w175,something heavy.
[snapback]119437[/snapback]​
[/b]
thats what I used to run...had the same problem

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just for a little clarity and peace of mind.

It is ok to use Honda 10w40 oil in both the oil side and the tranny side.
Correct?

Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts