Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a gear i pulled from my motor,and i'm looking for some input as to why it looks like this.

wanting to know if its something i did wrong or what

could it be from not so good oil
false neutrals
not using the clutch etc......

anyone else had gears come apart like this

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
What do teh gears that mate to it look like?

The rough side is the side that there is no pressure on, or am I thinking backwards?

·
Registered
228 Posts

How many do you want to see? Most of the problems I have seen are on the 06 and up models..

I even have two different countershafts that are twisted !

Too much torque for these little transmissions ..

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess there is a line where HP & TQ becomes to MUCH or to HIGH for these engines

i have a 660 raptor i built that can't keep the tranny togother,we are now looking for some aftermarket gears now............so maybe TQ is the problem with these trannys..........

SECOND GEAR IS THE PROBLEM ON THE 660 EVERYTIME

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The wear is rather uneven it could be from some miss-alignment in the transmission. My 04 has always had a pretty strong motor, other then some slight rounding of the shift dogs it looks to be in perfect shape. How often do you replace the drum, forks and rods in the transmission.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
looks like either a bad gear.....

or something (debris) got caught up in this gear...

most issues with any of the gears are not the actual teeth....and even then the wear would be on ALL of the teeth..... shown as worn marks...not corrosion........ the most common issues are with the dogs.......and the inability to seat correctly...w/o popping out of gear........

the gear Buck is showing us.....simply looks like a defect in the gear itself......it that was the only issue with the tranny.... jmho....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is a gear i pulled from my motor,and i'm looking for some input as to why it looks like this.

wanting to know if its something i did wrong or what

could it be from not so good oil
false neutrals
not using the clutch etc......

[/b]
THERE is 7 teeths bad on this gear.....some worst than others

there was no other problem with the tranny..........i replaced this gear when i add the 3mill crank

and if i had not went in for the crank change i would not have known it was bad,being that it was shifting fine.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
its hard to say what caused the damage......but if you look close, you can see the uneven wear of the teeth...... they should be exactly the same thickness on top/bottom.....this shows proper teeth alignment..... where the damage is on this particular gear... shows uneven teeth alignment.....could have been an issue from the factory......or something entered the tranny and caused this issue.....but I would think that any debris inside the tranny strong enough to damage THIS gear....would have probably damaged most of the gears as well........its almost as if this was a faulty gear casting......

[attachment=31685:Buck_Gear_2.JPG]

jmho....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
IMO the gear was hardend right....

Try and check gear alignment with some blue dye....... check both front and back sides..... check back lash..... back lash is very important..... oil cl and cl for heat expantion......

If all that is good than I think you need to have some gears cryo'd and shotpeen'd...... if that don't work than you may have to make some out of better metal..... 300m or something like that!!!!!!

Just curious.... hows the back side of those gears look?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMO the gear was hardend right....

Try and check gear alignment with some blue dye....... check both front and back sides..... check back lash..... back lash is very important..... oil cl and cl for heat expantion......

If all that is good than I think you need to have some gears cryo'd and shotpeen'd...... if that don't work than you may have to make some out of better metal..... 300m or something like that!!!!!!

Just curious.... hows the back side of those gears look?[/b]
i'll take some more pic of it later

1 - 12 of 12 Posts