Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 honda trx450r fmf f4 slip on, fmf jet kit, uni airfilter with prefilter
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 2014 trx450r on fresh oil and filter and cleaned my air filter, I still have my oil. I ride for about 1 hour and I noticed something like a bolt was loose or something but it wasn't vibrating, so I rode 2 laps on the motocross track there, I went up a small hill and it slugged when I was about to be st the exit it shut off on me, and when I went to start it it sounded like a weak battery, I have gas, or refilled it up to a full tank earlier and it started up almost immediately and I let it warm up I rode easy on it till I hit the mx track, I think it's a top end rebuild cause the gears work fine and bump start wouldn't work even in 3rd, didn't try 4th or 5th. I belive it's a top end rebuild but I just want to know for sure cause I've never had to dig into this motor, aswell as I've changed the oil regularly ever 6 hard rides on synthetic oil, it's all stock motor wise I belive. Another thing is, there was oil on the swing arm but the cases are in tact and it looks like oil splattered up cause it's on the bottom of my airbox and all over my case breather.

·
Truck Yea
5,588 Posts
50 bucks your crank blew.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50 bucks your crank blew.
I wouldn't even doubt it I might check on it this weekend get the clutch side case off and try and spin the gear and get it rebuilt

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,401 Posts
First step, pull the oil filter and see if it is full of glitter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'll do that if I see shavings i know i need a bottom end, never got to check the oil filter cause I've had other stuff to do this weekend I'll get to it for sure or earlier
First step, pull the oil filter and see if it is full of glitter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a top or bottom end rebuild

·
4,401 Posts
That right there is an everything rebuild lol! Your crank is toast. Sorry dude.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That right there is an everything rebuild lol! Your crank is toast. Sorry dude.
at least the crank didn't decide that it wanted to play peekaboo with me. so I need new bearings and crank and piston head and ring lands right?

·
Truck Yea
5,588 Posts
knew it. time for a full on rebuild. your lucky like you said it didnt destroy the case-least its not visible until you take it apart

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, so crank bearings and a crank right, should I change the piston out as well?

·
Truck Yea
5,588 Posts
yeah, so crank bearings and a crank right, should I change the piston out as well?
Crank, bearings, seals, gaskets, piston, oil pump (its going to be full of those bronze shavings), probably gears that are worn out. You will need to clean the entire thing very thoroughly. When mine failed even the stator was covered in the shavings and i said F it and bought a brand new one,

Now is the time to also port and polish, check the vales, valve guides and seals for wear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh okay, thank you. i'll get that done whenever I can

·
4,401 Posts
I also suggest a new oil pickup You never know what fully happened until you get the motor tore down. I’ve had some take out the cylinder and piston, and I’ve had some that were caught in time and the cylinder and piston were still good. If it’s a stock piston it’s never a bad idea to replace it if there is a lot of hours on it. Parts generally run close to $1000 when doing a rebuild after a crank failure, and you’re going to need some special tools to do the work. Also, make sure to take a look at your tranny while you have it apart, the 06+ trannys are prone to failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I will do that and make sure to do that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts