·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if too much oil is bad for my engine? what could happen?thanks

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
yes it will burn up your rings faster. to little oil is better then to much oil.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Aug 25 2004, 06:34 AM
mine is reading over the glass but it is just a little tiny bit...will this matter or should I drain some out|?
you will probably be safe, but next time you change your oil make it a little short first, then fill up after start up and shutdown....this should be the most accurate way.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks lude . that sucks I just put brand new oil in it!!lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
It can't be that critical. If it was, you'd have big problems riding along a sidehill. The main thing is that you don't way overfill it causing the crank to beat the oil into foam.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will it make it hard to kick over??...it is a little over half a centimeter. that is how much it is over the full mark. is that still bad?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
if you can still see clear on your eyeglass then you are not reallyt overfull...all the pro quads at the last race I went too had theeir eye glass completely full & I dont know how much more they had in there but none of them you were able to see any clear

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
the 450r, like many performance 4-strokes uses an oiling system known as a dry sump. what this means is that when the engine is running a large enough amount of the oil is contained within the pumping system to create a low enough oil level in the crankcase that the crank weights aren't "sloshing" through it. this relieves viscous drag (ever try to run in water?) and thus increases horsepower. too much oil oil prevents the system from functioning as a dry sump and effectively renders it a wet sump...................mixxer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts