Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A FRIEND OF MINE HAS DONE SOME MODS AND THIS IS WHAT HE DID AND WHAT THE RESULTS WERE , WHAT DID HE DO WRONG.

HE INSTALLED A K&N FILTER LID AND REJETTED, RAN GOOD WITH MINOR TUNING. THEN HE INSTALLED A REPALCEMENT K&N FILTER IN THE FACTORY AIRBOX WIH THE FILTER LID, STILL RAN GREAT. BY THE WAY NO BAFFLE IN THE PIPE. JUST THE ARRESTOR, HERE INLIES THE PROP. HE BORROWED A HRC PIPE I RECEIVED THROUGHA SALE AND BOLTED IT ON, THE BIKE DEVELOPED A MAJOR BOG HE SAID. HE REJETTED TOA 205 , HE SAYS HE CALCULATED WHAT IT WOULD BE BY FIGURING OUT WHAT A STOCK JET WAS. HE DRILLED OUT THE JET TOA SUPPOSEDLY 205, I KNOW WHAT AN IDIOT, BUT HE IS PRETTY GOOD AT THE TINKERING THING. HE SAYS THAT IS THE ONLY THING HE DID. NEVER COULD GET THE RESPONSE BACK I GUESS. CAN ANYONE GIVE SOME ADVICE!! I DONT WANT TO PUT THE HRC HEADER ON IF I AM GONNA HAVE APROBLEM.

MY R WILL HAVE A HOTCAM STAGE 2 WITHA K&N FILTERLID, HRC HEADER PIPE AND HRC BAFFLE, CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A JETTING RANGE TO START WITH.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
for your bike the hrc jetting should be a good starting point.. for his a 205 sounds really rich.. it seems most pople have 165-185 range... but i dont know alot about jetting

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
for your bike the hrc jetting should be a good starting point.. for his a 205 sounds really rich.. it seems most pople have 165-185 range... but i dont know alot about jetting[/b]
a 185 sounds like it would be right. Definatly not a 205. 205 is what YFZs run with no lid not hondas..as far as ive seen.
Im running a 175 at sea level with no lid, sparks pipe and it runs perfect

·
Registered
571 Posts
205 is what YFZs run with no lid not hondas[/b]
I have a couple of yfz's, that are basic bolt on bikes (fast enough) but they both run 168s. IMHO You would need a heck of a bike to run a 205. YFZ or Honda.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
99% of bikes dont run that size of a main.

it iwll help people alot if you release what year it is.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
dammm 205 is way rich. i bet half of your header is cherry red from the gas its burning in there.

what yr bike?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have a couple of yfz's, that are basic bolt on bikes (fast enough) but they both run 168s. IMHO You would need a heck of a bike to run a 205. YFZ or Honda.
[/b]
I dunno maybe its the elevation or something.I dont know much about jetting but both my friends yfzs are running no lid and full exhaust with over 200s on both running good at sea level

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
[/b]
I dunno maybe its the elevation or something.I dont know much about jetting but both my friends yfzs are running no lid and full exhaust with over 200s on both running good at sea level
[/b]

its possible for them to run good with the right air mixture, but still run rich.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
QUOTE(r450er @ Jul 29 2008, 09:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=537101
<div class='quotemain'>205 is what YFZs run with no lid not hondas[/b]
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

its possible for them to run good with the right air mixture, but still run rich.
[/b][/quote]

I dunno about the other but I know 1 is running a little rich but he says he likes it and it runs good for him. I have no idea what he means but what ever. Mine came out perfectly jetted with the recommended settings from my exhaust manufacturer. Im hoping I wont have to rejet after i put on my outerwears cover lidish thing

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
If its an 04/05 then a 185 is a good starting point....if its an 06/07 then a 162/165 is a good starting point.

A 205 would be rich on a YFZ or TRX under pretty much any circumstance.While drilling jets to achieve larger sizes/higher flow has been done for many years and can be done successfully...it is usually only something that needs to be done in cases where jet size exceeds what is available or are difficult to find or purchase.
In this case Keihin large hex jets are readily available (in many sizes) and only cost a few bucks.
I suggest buying a jet in the range the HRC kit recommends (for the year)...it will more than likely be the size you need. :yes

Good luck

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A FRIEND OF MINE HAS DONE SOME MODS AND THIS IS WHAT HE DID AND WHAT THE RESULTS WERE , WHAT DID HE DO WRONG.

HE INSTALLED A K&N FILTER LID AND REJETTED, RAN GOOD WITH MINOR TUNING. THEN HE INSTALLED A REPALCEMENT K&N FILTER IN THE FACTORY AIRBOX WIH THE FILTER LID, STILL RAN GREAT. BY THE WAY NO BAFFLE IN THE PIPE. JUST THE ARRESTOR, HERE INLIES THE PROP. HE BORROWED A HRC PIPE I RECEIVED THROUGHA SALE AND BOLTED IT ON, THE BIKE DEVELOPED A MAJOR BOG HE SAID. HE REJETTED TOA 205 , HE SAYS HE CALCULATED WHAT IT WOULD BE BY FIGURING OUT WHAT A STOCK JET WAS. HE DRILLED OUT THE JET TOA SUPPOSEDLY 205, I KNOW WHAT AN IDIOT, BUT HE IS PRETTY GOOD AT THE TINKERING THING. HE SAYS THAT IS THE ONLY THING HE DID. NEVER COULD GET THE RESPONSE BACK I GUESS. CAN ANYONE GIVE SOME ADVICE!! I DONT WANT TO PUT THE HRC HEADER ON IF I AM GONNA HAVE APROBLEM.

MY R WILL HAVE A HOTCAM STAGE 2 WITHA K&N FILTERLID, HRC HEADER PIPE AND HRC BAFFLE, CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A JETTING RANGE TO START WITH.[/b]

been their done that!

to start with you need to put the baffel back in , or better yet get a hrc tip to put on the thing.

your jetting will go crazey without some back pressure on the motor. it will also bring back you jetting to where it should be.

the 06 hrc jet is a 162, needle on 3rd clip and putting a #55 leak jet in will help the off idle bog.

when i ran open exaust and it was cold i was running a drilled jet it was around a 250 .........the jetting was crazey, ran good but when i put the hrc tip back on and rejetted back to hrc speck. it ran faster than ever.......if you buy a pipe you will still have more back pressure than running with the baffle out of the stock pipe. even with an aftermarket pipe you would only be around a 175-180 main.....if you try to run anything smaller than in the 200s with the pipe uncapped it will burn it up!! it will be way lean............annyway good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is a 07 sorry for the confusion. i yold him he needed some kind of baffle or it would run funny. he is blaming it on the hrc header pipe. . he thinks he knows everything, and thanks i took the caps off. n

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
this is a 07 sorry for the confusion. i yold him he needed some kind of baffle or it would run funny. he is blaming it on the hrc header pipe. . he thinks he knows everything, and thanks i took the caps off. n[/b]
the hrc head pipe is pretty darn good imo .........with the hrc end cap it will make very good power. alot better than what it's doing now. cause it can do a lot better.

just try and you will see .........lol....i had some one tell me and am i glad i tried ( i had my baffle out also :banghead: ).... cause it runs much faster now ( put it back in and rejetted to hrc specks :_specialED: ). it gives modded 700 raps something to think about............ whoo hoo!!!! good luck.....bryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts