Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tomorrow is the first race for my new 450r. It is a 210km race in rather dusty, flat off-road conditions. We did all the necessary preparations now it is time to deliver. Will keep you poted and post some pictures after the race.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sweet!!! :D Good luck...and keep the rubber side down...

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Good luck, I can't wait to see the pics!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi 450rsouthafrica how did it do?
I am very interested in the result as I would like to upgrade my trx400 to a 450 (trx or yfz). Where are you based and which racing meetings do you normally support (mx, xc and flat track)?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Welcome to the site trxsouthafrica! :D

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am very interested in the result as I would like to upgrade my trx400 to a 450 (trx or yfz). Where are you based and which racing meetings do you normally support (mx, xc and flat track)?
Sorry guys for replying only now, was in hospital getting repairs done to my sinusses after a quad accident in March, all ok now.

Good to see I have a fellow South African here, welcome, you will find a lot of helpfull info here. As concerning the race it was the NAMPO 200, a very fast flat off-road race. I had a very poor starting position, 35 out of about 45/50 quads, so had a lot of overtaking and catching up to do, to make matters worse my yellow back light failed and I got a five minute time penalty and it took me another five minutes to repair it, so I lost about 10 minutes in total racing time. Ended 26th with a total riding time of 2h45min over 200km. It was also rider fatique that set in in the last 20km that lost me some time, need to get fit again very quickly.

The quad handle fantastic, no problems at all. The thick sandy sections was a matter of fomallity, fast flat section was great and a pleasure to ride, just one matter that needs addressing; when going flat out over the loose gravel road sections the back of the quad wanted to step out on occasions and I got a bad vibration on the front wheels at about 110km/per hour which forced me to back off on the power when this happend. I got some toe-in on the quad front suspension and put some (500ml) anti puncture stuff in the wheels - can this cuase the problem?

For my fellow South African quad friend, I am based in Pretoria and at this stage are doing only off-road enduro racing. Upgrdaing to a bigger quad? Well I got three honda's, the 250, 400ex and now the 450r and I WILL NOT RACE SOMETHING ELSE. If you look at the winners of regional and national races the 450 is winning them all, that is the yamaha 450, but let see what the 450r is going to do, this was the second race in the country where a 450r has competed in. In the first it did very well, 10th with a sick rider on it. I will stay with honda, if you work on this quad, 450r, you just get the feeling that it was made to race and win, give it time and in the right hands and I am sure we will start giving the other a run for their money. I am 37 years old and are now focussing on getting the quad ready for next years senior national races, testing and getting myself into shape.

Here are some photo's guys.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
What yellow light are you talking about? Is it like a brake light? what does it do?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The yellow light is compulsory for off-road racing in South Africa, this is for cars and quads. Because a lot of our off-road racing takes part in very dusty conditions it serves as a warning sign for the competitor following you, a type of warning signal to show approaching competitors that there is a quad or car infront. According to our off-road rules and regulations if it is not working you have time to fix it after that you encounter a time penalty, added to your overall race time. There is also marshals along the route that will look if all lights are working or not.

Hope this explains it.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Thanks, I had no idea.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i really do not know to much about camber/toe, but i think you need to adjust your front tires. they seem like the tops and leaning in way to much. from the pics, i cant tell if you have a steering dampner, but this will really help out with the front end shaking, you would not believe the difference. another thing you may want to think about is getting a different set of rear tires such as maxxis razr2's or itp holeshot HD's. those rear tires dont really belong on a sport quad.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Naw, I dig the tires.
They must be doing something for him otherwise why run them?
They might also work really well for his style of riding

Everyones got there own style, dont push yours on to others.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by WhiteZee@Sep 10 2004, 10:56 PM
i really do not know to much about camber/toe, but i think you need to adjust your front tires.  they seem like the tops and leaning in way to much.  from the pics, i cant tell if you have a steering dampner, but this will really help out with the front end shaking, you would not believe the difference.  another thing you may want to think about is getting a different set of rear tires such as maxxis razr2's or itp holeshot HD's.  those rear tires dont really belong on a sport quad.
WhiteZee,
Thanks for the comments. The camber adjustment was done according to the instructions that came with the ALBA A-ARMS and with testing done with the quad, there is no more drifting in corners! Yes I do have a steering damper - PEP, the front end vibrtions we believe is coming from the anti-puncher liquid we put in the tyre, we are going to remove it and see what happens then, the vibrations was not there when the tyres had nothing in it. On you comments about the tyres, man I dont care if it does not look good or do not belong on a sport quad, for the type of racing we do over here it works dam well. Here you would get dufferentt types of terrain, gravel, mud, thick loose sand, water in one race, and the MAXXIS SURE TRACK at this stage do the job for about 90% of the quads in a race.

We just fitted a IMS longrange tank to the quad, will put photos up tomorrow.

All our thoughts for the USA on this day.9/11

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
ya realy nice quad but one question how come it says sportrax on the side insted of trx

·
Registered
26 Posts
450rsouthafrica hope you have fully recovered. Great pics, bad luck on the light. Are you running standard shocks on extended a-arms? In am still in two minds, do I upgrade to a Honda or Yamaha 450. We mostly do track racing at Nelspruit, Pietersburg and Alberton (south of Johannesburg) and the quad which wins all the tack meetings are Yamaha 450’s. Past weekend in the veteran’s class we had 10 quads on the start line 9 yzf’s and me on the trx400. Will you be completing the 8 inland racing series which MSA will be starting next year or will you only do endures? Did you do the Hluhluwe enduro out in KZN this year?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts