Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I figured out that I need to adjust my valves.

I have a Haynes manual and it just says to align the marks on the sprocket and case in the crankshaft hole and then make sure the cam lobes are pointing up and slightly back, then take your measurements.

I got .009 and .007 on the exhaust and .006 on the intakes.

Then I was reading GHOTT's trx450r valve adjustment how-to. To get a little bit more knowledge on what I was doing and it says:

...after setting the crankshaft marks correctly, check to be sure the timing marks on the cam assembly, and cam chain sprocket are aligned properly...

Well after reading this I check my cam assembly and cam chain sprocket marks with my crankshaft marks lined up the cam assembly and cam chain sprocket marks do not line up.:ermm:

Should these marks be lining up as well? If so how do I go about getting them to line up? Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
i was confused by this as well and still dont know how the dots on the cam gear and the arrows on the cam tower line up as the same time the marks on the flywheel in the sight hole and the mark on the gear on the other side of the engine where u put the allen wrench to turn the motor over with all line up in the rite spot at the same time. i do the ones on the cam tower an sprocket an make sure the cam lobes point up an twards the back an mine have always came out good. good luck J

·
What Ever In Season
1,602 Posts
Old School Way Of Finding TDC Is A TDC Gage Or Prehistoric One A Thin Screw Driver When It Reaches Apex Move It Back And Forth If You Have A Worn Timing Chain. Sprocket mark - will be above the < mark on the Cam Tower There Are 2 TDC One on Power Stroke/ Compression Valves :Lobs Down And loose And one On Over lap Of Power/Exhaust Stroke Cam lobes Up And Valves Tight By Being Open Slightly On Over lap

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was confused by this as well and still dont know how the dots on the cam gear and the arrows on the cam tower line up as the same time the marks on the flywheel in the sight hole and the mark on the gear on the other side of the engine where u put the allen wrench to turn the motor over with all line up in the rite spot at the same time. i do the ones on the cam tower an sprocket an make sure the cam lobes point up an twards the back an mine have always came out good. good luck J
Im glad I'm not the only one :sweatingbullets: I think I'm going to go with what the Hayne's is telling me. I hope it works out. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
what is the ???? you find TDC by removing the inspection cover on the clutch side... where the crank nut is.. close to the water pump.... you must get down at EYE LEVEL and view the timing mark on the case, the timing mark on the crank gear, and the center of the crank shaft.... pretend there is an imaginary line going thru all three.. if they are lined up... your at TDC

then go to the other side of the bike and view the timing marks on the cam gear.. and the tower.... they should be lined up as well... or very very close with chain tensioner still tight.... once you remove/loosen the chain tensioner...it will be SLIGHTLY off...but not nearly enough to cause you to be a whole tooth off.. if you know what I mean..... yes, the cam lobes should be facing rearward... but they CAN be facing forward/down... it's just far more difficult to rotate the engine with all that spring pressure on the cam.....

bottom line...the engine does NOT have to be at true TDC in order to adjust the valves... you simply need to make sure the valves are not being contacted by the cam in any way shape or form.... and being at TDC is the best method... .but CLOSE is good enough..... it does NOT have to be perfect.... the biggest issue is making sure the decomp is not being partially engaged when adjusting the exhaust valves... thats about it...

jmho....g

·
Registered
8 Posts
what is the ???? you find TDC by removing the inspection cover on the clutch side... where the crank nut is.. close to the water pump.... you must get down at EYE LEVEL and view the timing mark on the case, the timing mark on the crank gear, and the center of the crank shaft.... pretend there is an imaginary line going thru all three.. if they are lined up... your at TDC

then go to the other side of the bike and view the timing marks on the cam gear.. and the tower.... they should be lined up as well... or very very close with chain tensioner still tight.... once you remove/loosen the chain tensioner...it will be SLIGHTLY off...but not nearly enough to cause you to be a whole tooth off.. if you know what I mean..... yes, the cam lobes should be facing rearward... but they CAN be facing forward/down... it's just far more difficult to rotate the engine with all that spring pressure on the cam.....

bottom line...the engine does NOT have to be at true TDC in order to adjust the valves... you simply need to make sure the valves are not being contacted by the cam in any way shape or form.... and being at TDC is the best method... .but CLOSE is good enough..... it does NOT have to be perfect.... the biggest issue is making sure the decomp is not being partially engaged when adjusting the exhaust valves... thats about it...

jmho....g
How do you know if have the decomp engaged r not iHave 2013 trx450er

1 - 7 of 7 Posts