Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm an oregon rider and always will be and i've always run 22x8x8 ultralights and for my 450 i had 9 paddle. which i know is to much for my mods. and i forgot what haulers were like until this weekend and now i'm switching back to them. i need help with either 9 or 10 paddle and size ??????? i weigh about 170...
the part that is tricking me is i really want porting from rage or racers edge

·
Registered
550 Posts
lots of people on here will tell you that 9 paddles are WAY to much for the sand on anything less than a 501...they obviously have never ridden the oregon dunes. i run 9 paddle haulers on mine, and i would recommend either 20/21/22 inch 8 paddles, or 20/21 inch 9 paddles depending on how many motor mods you plan on doing, and what type of riding you like, go for taller less paddles if you like hill climbing/tree shots, and a a shorter tire if you like jumping or the flats

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
what exactly are these tree shots? i dont ride dunes because i live near houston,tx... but i wish i did, but what is a tree shot?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what exactly are these tree shots? i dont ride dunes because i live near houston,tx... but i wish i did, but what is a tree shot?[/b]
i wish i had some pics from this weeks trip but basicly there paths that lead down to either a lake/ body of water or lead into very dense trees, with a turn a round (usually) and some are very easy some i wish my bike would climb .i finally found the first tree shot EVER that i could not climb it's right next to banshee hill on the left like 20 feet from the base. my 450 doesn't have the power / tires/swingarm to get the job done. i let my friend try and he couldn't get it either. after we gave up we flipped it back wards 7 different times went down it and flipped forward this trail is not do able.

this is what a tree shot looks like.....with out the trees lol http://67.199.65.66/cascade_innovations/ne...to.cfm?catid=36

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Last year when I was at Winchester I did that hill climb to the left of Banshee Hill a few times... I was the only person there that made it... I just had the HRC kit, Haulers, and everything else stock. It is definitely the toughest hill I have ever done...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last year when I was at Winchester I did that hill climb to the left of Banshee Hill a few times... I was the only person there that made it... I just had the HRC kit, Haulers, and everything else stock. It is definitely the toughest hill I have ever done...[/b]
really you made it........ lol tell me your secrets lol....

mine wouldn't do it becuase of my 22x8x8's next time i'll have some haulers waiting lol ......speaking of that any advise on a tire... hey dj450 what are your tires??

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run Tree shots all day long at Coosbay, Florence, and Sand Lake on 22x11x8 7 paddles Haulers.[/b]
then i take it youve been to windchester bay....?????
have you seen/tried this tree shot me and dj are talking about. i didn't even know it was there and i've been riding there since i was 5 years young

·
Registered
48 Posts
i ride the oregon dunes alot, my 06er has the green wire mod, lrd pro 4 full system, lrd jet kick, pro design k&n filter kit, and a 13 tooth front sproket. i run 21x11x10 8 paddle extremes. it pulls them just fine and i way 260 at least and am 6'4.
hope that helps.
ive never seen that hill in winchester either

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i ride the oregon dunes alot, my 06er has the green wire mod, lrd pro 4 full system, lrd jet kick, pro design k&n filter kit, and a 13 tooth front sproket. i run 21x11x10 8 paddle extremes. it pulls them just fine and i way 260 at least and am 6'4.
hope that helps.
ive never seen that hill in winchester either[/b]
see i was talking to my neighbor today and he said he made it up with those same tires that you have but with a +4 swinger on an alky banshee

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Last year when I was at Winchester I did that hill climb to the left of Banshee Hill a few times... I was the only person there that made it... I just had the HRC kit, Haulers, and everything else stock. It is definitely the toughest hill I have ever done...[/b]

mine wouldn't do it becuase of my 22x8x8's next time i'll have some haulers waiting lol ......speaking of that any advise on a tire... hey dj450 what are your tires??
[/b]
I have 20-11-9 8 paddle Haulers...

I am looking to buy some 21-12-8 8 paddles for drag racing...

I have a picture of that tree shot somewhere... I'll look for it and post it up... Last time I was there I was bummed because I made it to the top but there was a tree down across it so I had to back down it!.. I've never gotten stuck other than that though.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

[/b]
I have 20-11-9 8 paddle Haulers...

I am looking to buy some 21-12-8 8 paddles for drag racing...

I have a picture of that tree shot somewhere... I'll look for it and post it up... Last time I was there I was bummed because I made it to the top but there was a tree down across it so I had to back down it!.. I've never gotten stuck other than that though.
[/b]
what about a trade for mine i have right now????? even though for a new set there around 400 i thhink i paid 387 sumthing but i want haulers drag racing is fun but i like doin cookies more lol ......
here's where i've always gotten my from......take alook at sizes and the few pictures smimotorsports.com

·
Registered
423 Posts
I run Tree shots all day long at Coosbay, Florence, and Sand Lake on 22x11x8 7 paddles Haulers.[/b]
then i take it youve been to windchester bay....?????
have you seen/tried this tree shot me and dj are talking about. i didn't even know it was there and i've been riding there since i was 5 years young
[/b]
That is a blast of a trail next to banshee hill. I can make it on my 520 with a +1.5 swinger and 7 paddle extremes in the 22x11x8 configuration. My brother in law just makes it with his 7 mil stroked banshee. For those that don't know, it really is a technical trail. It doesn't just go straight up like lots of the other tree shots in the area. It twists and weaves close to trees and is steep as hell. You really have to pay attention to whether you are in sand or over roots too. There was a 10" fallen tree across the trail (some low duck-unders too) last time I was there and you had a sharp corner maybe 30 feet ahead of it. You had to take the corner, get on the throttle and pop up over the tree without letting your tires bite too hard causing a flip (happened to me). I found keeping the RPMs up is key also, so you can't just let off the throttle when you need to slow down, I fan the clutch a little, just like the old 2 stroke days. Its a fun working on that tree shot even when you don't always make it. It seems like 9 out of 10 times someone makes an attempt, they are seen backing carefully down the hill soon thereafter.

·
Oregon Coast Duner
2,482 Posts
You almost need two (or more) sets of tires... My 21 12 8 8 paddle Haulers are great when the sand is dry... When it's wet (alot of the time) they are too much tire IMO.... Just doesn't rev out as well.... I used to run some 20 11 10 sand stars and they were ok in the wet stuff just too heavy and would dig when it gets dry and fluffy... They were way more stable for jumping though... When its really wet (Fall and Winter) nobbies work pretty good as long asyou keep your speed up.... So to rap this thing up I guess what I'm trying to spit ou here is unless you are made of $$$ then you have to get by with what you have and just learn to ride the conditions as they are... I personally run the Haulers almost always and they work for me... My best all around tire for Oregon.... Not the best drag tire... not the best duner... not the best tree shooter... but it does all of these combined better than any other tire in my experience.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Im just curious, why are you going back to regular haulers? Are you getting away from racing and more into hillclimbs and duning?
I have found that the UL's work excellent as a hillclimb tire, maybe not so much as a duning tire but hey there is not a perfect tire that will fall into every category. I wish there was.
When I had my 450 I tried 9 paddle extremes, 10 paddler, haulers, 9 & 8 paddle UL's and finally settled on the 7 paddle UL's. They flat hook up and get it with the right setup. IMO and it is just an opinion, you'll miss the UL's.
BTW I ran 7 paddles on a stock, 480 and 501 setup.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im just curious, why are you going back to regular haulers? Are you getting away from racing and more into hillclimbs and duning?
I have found that the UL's work excellent as a hillclimb tire, maybe not so much as a duning tire but hey there is not a perfect tire that will fall into every category. I wish there was.
When I had my 450 I tried 9 paddle extremes, 10 paddler, haulers, 9 & 8 paddle UL's and finally settled on the 7 paddle UL's. They flat hook up and get it with the right setup. IMO and it is just an opinion, you'll miss the UL's.
BTW I ran 7 paddles on a stock, 480 and 501 setup.[/b]
well the main reason i'm changing back to haulers, is because haulers are more fun IMO.
i got medium lights because i wanted to do alot of drag racing but have them be wider so i could still have fun with them, and i thought they were perfect until my last trip and i changed to some old haulers we had laying around. point being trails/ tree shots are more fun with haulers....you can come up a tree shot and around the crest pull the clutch get to the limiter , then drop the clutch and whip your ass back down the hill for more.

UL's are a great tire but i like getting my self into sticky situations that are real technical and i can't bring my self to do that with the chance of poping 400$ tires.
so haulers it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
now those tree shoots there are soooooooo bad ass, there is one just left of banshee hill like 20 ft. you actually pop out 3/4 of the way up on to banshee hill or if your a real bad ass you can duck under that tree that fell and shoot for the top. that one is pretty straight, Now there is one like 60-80 ft. to the left that has a lot more curves and it is awsome but nobody in our group made it.

I ride a 05 bone stock 450r with 6 paddle hauler 20x8x8 on a 8x7 rim, and I consider myself a damn good rider. by the way on the same subject my uncle was tthere with me and he has an almost identical bike as mine with 21x8x8 hauler 8 paddle tires, he iss also 50 pounds heavier than me. now in pismo or dumont or glamis I can walk away from him but not in Oregon I think I needed one or two more paddles.

On another note if you go all the way south by horsefalls campground and go over by the bay where the train tracks are, those are some of the best tree shoots. not as long as winchesters but steep, tight and curvier than crap, one of them had a tree that had fallen in the middle about 1/2 way up its about a 2 1/2-3 ft. ledge when I hit that thing pinned I launched the front end like 5 feet in the air. it was a kick in the pants.

anyway I think 8 paddle 21-22" hauler for Oregon sand is the ticket.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
now those tree shoots there are soooooooo bad ass, there is one just left of banshee hill like 20 ft. you actually pop out 3/4 of the way up on to banshee hill or if your a real bad ass you can duck under that tree that fell and shoot for the top. that one is pretty straight, Now there is one like 60-80 ft. to the left that has a lot more curves and it is awsome but nobody in our group made it.

I ride a 05 bone stock 450r with 6 paddle hauler 20x8x8 on a 8x7 rim, and I consider myself a damn good rider. by the way on the same subject my uncle was tthere with me and he has an almost identical bike as mine with 21x8x8 hauler 8 paddle tires, he iss also 50 pounds heavier than me. now in pismo or dumont or glamis I can walk away from him but not in Oregon I think I needed one or two more paddles.

On another note if you go all the way south by horsefalls campground and go over by the bay where the train tracks are, those are some of the best tree shoots. not as long as winchesters but steep, tight and curvier than crap, one of them had a tree that had fallen in the middle about 1/2 way up its about a 2 1/2-3 ft. ledge when I hit that thing pinned I launched the front end like 5 feet in the air. it was a kick in the pants.

anyway I think 8 paddle 21-22" hauler for Oregon sand is the ticket.[/b]
ahaha you should go to florence this weekend i know about 2 other ppl from the org are going and so am i should be a blast ???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts