Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding the other day and went up this big hill. At the top you normally would go right. But this time I wanted to go left. Its a lot sharper of a turn that direction. Well anyway I turned left, and bounced my right front tire off of a tree. I hit it pretty good. But it did not seem like I hit it hard enough to do any damage....But I looked and I bent my tie rod. I think it bent way to easy.

I was wondering if anyone else has bent one yet, if so how did you do it...do these stock tie rods seem weak to you guys?...And to make matters worse, I hit my front right tire on the tree, and my left front tire went flat. Fiqure that one out... :huh:

by the way, this is the first flat tire I have had yet...I think these are pretty good tires really.

·
Registered
986 Posts
yea i bent one but it was a big hit. the rod it self was only 13$ at my dealer as long as the ends are good. just buy a couple of extras cause if they don't bend something else will

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by DN1911@Jun 3 2004, 12:02 PM
yea i bent one but it was a big hit. the rod it self was only 13$ at my dealer as long as the ends are good.  just buy a couple of extras cause if they don't bend something else will
thats awsome...thats cheap enough, why would you ever buy the expensive chromoly ones, when you can get these replaced for 13 dollars.....you could replace them about 10 times just to equall the cost of the chromoly ones.

I had to buy one for my KFX700 and it was only 13 dollars....screw the expensive ones B)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I think that they keep them pretty weak so that they give out before more expensive parts of your front end do.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by lukester720@Jun 3 2004, 10:29 PM
I think that they keep them pretty weak so that they give out before more expensive parts of your front end do.
thats a very good point there luke. So if you buy stronger ones, then there is a better chance of breaking something else then....like a ball joint.. those are more expensive then the rod.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Another point is, besides breaking other parts -- keeping you from getting a hand/wrist injury.

It's a fine line between making the tie rods too strong and too weak. The 450R's tie rods will be a little weaker than a 400EX because they're the same diameter but they're longer.

If you feel you need them to be stronger, you might try sleeving and tack welding them. You could even play around with a partial sleeve to only increase strength a little.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i bent one this weekend when I hit a ditch & went into a fence...i bent some other things it looks like too....if the tierod is bent could it cause the tire to bow sideways & make the rotor & hub be messed up or do I have other problems?

·
Registered
39 Posts
yes they bend easy and this answers my question on the new post i just added but i want stronger tie rods because the weak one didnt hold up to much and cost me $250 dollars of cotengency money today at a hare scramble and kinda upset that they give this easy. i do understan what yall are saying but i think they are to weak.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeh my bro bent one and the front rim on the left side. He was doing a wheelie on the road and a drunk guy ran into him.. I hate people who drink and drive!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts