Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 450R. i recently put an HRC jet kit on it, cut the back half of the air box lid off, modified the intake snorkel and 3-way breather, stock muffler w/ spark arrestor out, and a HC2.

at a roll if i hit the throttle really hard it seems like it cuts out a little bit and bogs, but at a roll if i give it a little throttle then hit it hard it pulls really good.

is this normal or do i need to adjust something?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
any comments or suggestions appreciated

Eric[/b]

Eric....that is 'normal' for the 04/05 machines.... the carb isnt quite as sophisticated as the FCR on later years.....

stabbing the throttle from low rpm....idle, etc....will usually result in some type of bog.....

there are some tuning techniques that can help to solve this issue....although not 100%.....they do help...

you can try raising your needle by lowering the clip one notch....

increase the pilot mix by either turning your a/f screw out 1/4 turn or so....or maybe a larger pilot.... #48 is stock...some guys like the #50.....

or....all of the above......

the standard Keihin 42 does not have an adjustable/removable leak jet...so your kinda stuck with these mods....

there is one more item which can help.......and that is a 'quick shot'....Boysen and some others make one....

just a thought....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

Eric[/b]

Eric....that is 'normal' for the 04/05 machines.... the carb isnt quite as sophisticated as the FCR on later years.....

stabbing the throttle from low rpm....idle, etc....will usually result in some type of bog.....

there are some tuning techniques that can help to solve this issue....although not 100%.....they do help...

increase the pilot mix by either turning your a/f screw out 1/4 turn or so....or maybe a larger pilot.... #48 is stock...some guys like the #50.....

the standard Keihin 42 does not have an adjustable/removable leak jet...so your kinda stuck with these mods....

there is one more item which can help.......and that is a 'quick shot'....Boysen and some others make one....

just a thought....
[/b]
Great advice Greg.. can you get a quick shot cover for the 04-05 I thought it was only FCR carbs?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Eric[/b]

just a thought....
[/b]
Great advice Greg.. can you get a quick shot cover for the 04-05 I thought it was only FCR carbs?
[/b]

I second that. This site seems to be full of really good advice.

I'm going to try adjusting the air/fuel screw first. If that doesn't get me anywhere then I'll go back into the carb adjust the clip.

If I try the duct tape over the lid, what should I be looking for to happen?

Thanks again,

Eric

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Great advice Greg.. can you get a quick shot cover for the 04-05 I thought it was only FCR carbs?[/b]

I dunno.....ive seen them advertised for the 04/05 years....but couldnt say for sure.....

im lucky...I have an FCR...lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts