Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about a banshee engine when this thought crossed my mind

why does one piston travel down while the other is going up ?

why not have both pistons driving up and down at the same time ?

wouldn't that give a bigger BANG resulting in more power

if one cylinder makes 50hp after a fill stroke,wouldn't that same engine make 100hp if both are banging up and down at the same times

just think if the trx450 engine as having two pistons banging up and down at the same time

wouldn't that make a 60hp machine a 120hp one?

i may be way out there on this one.....but i thought i'd see what ya'll think.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Aren't Harley engines like that?

....And you spelling dumb wrong makes me think of Homer Simpson....

"I am so smart, S-M-R-T."

LOL.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought Banshee engines did have the same stroke on both cylinders?[/b]
when one is all the way up the other is not

the other one looks to be at the halfway point

·
Registered
499 Posts
it probly would result and a weaker powerband. u know theres always one piston firing if they both did together there would be lag inbetween. , or maybe its just for performance reasons idk

-matt

·
Big Bore Killer
2,550 Posts
i know the polaris twins like the 800 sportsman fire at the same time..
no wonder the kawi brute force and can ams kick its A$$...

·
Registered
391 Posts
i know the polaris twins like the 800 sportsman fire at the same time..
no wonder the kawi brute force and can ams kick its A$$...[/b]

Actually the polaris liberty engine found on the 700-800 sportsmans dont fire at the same time, they do go up and down together but fire alternately

·
Big Bore Killer
2,550 Posts
ok, i meant they go up together.... my bad.
but v-twins like the brute and can ams go up individually??
is that why the liberty engines sound like turd with pipes on em' and the others sound like smal block chevy's???? lol

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
probably has alot to do with balance.

on the other hand with one piston goes up the compression push it back down and bringing the otherside piston up for another cycle.

id say theres constant power being produced.

banshees are fun.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ok, i meant they go up together.... my bad.
but v-twins like the brute and can ams go up individually??
is that why the liberty engines sound like turd with pipes on em' and the others sound like smal block chevy's???? lol[/b]

LoL you are right about that no matter what you do to them they sound like hammerd cat chit tough engine though I had a 04 700popo with a 6" gorilla lift and 29.5 outlaws it was a touqe beast

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
LMAO...........some things never change!

Im Sorry I just couldnt help it!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
The new RZR motors are on the same phase. Strange design, and yet to really be proven, Ive seen a lot of them shake themselves apart, and seperate.

There was a guy who did what you are talking about Buck. I cant remember what he called it, but the Banshee crank on the same phase has been done. I 99% sure it didnt work out like he had thought or hoped.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
technically would you actually create anymore power? You still going to burn the same amount of fuel but it will just come in spirts...

It would be like peddling a bike but instead of changing the foot you push down on you would push on them both simultaneously and let the torque of the action carry the pedals back up to get ready for you to push them down again.. This would almost seem redundent as alot of energy would be lost in the force needed to more each piston (or peddle in this case) back up to the top of its stroke.. Whereas if they are out of phase your other leg would provide the energy needed for the continuation of the upwards stroke...

Doing a quick definition of google states that Horsepower is :The rate at which torque is applied. Since applied torque causes a shaft and its connected components to rotate, a certain RPM results.

With that definition i doubt that an engine would be able to apply torque faster due to the larger delay between the ignition of the cylinders. It would create a bigger bang (more torque) but take more time to execute the rotation before another combustion occurs. Thus theoretically the torque created should be the same should it not?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
technically would you actually create anymore power? You still going to burn the same amount of fuel but it will just come in spirts...

It would be like peddling a bike but instead of changing the foot you push down on you would push on them both simultaneously and let the torque of the action carry the pedals back up to get ready for you to push them down again.. This would almost seem redundent as alot of energy would be lost in the force needed to more each piston (or peddle in this case) back up to the top of its stroke.. Whereas if they are out of phase your other leg would provide the energy needed for the continuation of the upwards stroke...

Doing a quick definition of google states that Horsepower is :The rate at which torque is applied. Since applied torque causes a shaft and its connected components to rotate, a certain RPM results.

With that definition i doubt that an engine would be able to apply torque faster due to the larger delay between the ignition of the cylinders. It would create a bigger bang (more torque) but take more time to execute the rotation before another combustion occurs. Thus theoretically the torque created should be the same should it not?[/b]
good answer

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The new RZR motors are on the same phase. Strange design, and yet to really be proven, Ive seen a lot of them shake themselves apart, and seperate.

There was a guy who did what you are talking about Buck. I cant remember what he called it, but the Banshee crank on the same phase has been done. I 99% sure it didnt work out like he had thought or hoped.[/b]
glad im not the only one who thought of that..............it just seems like it would produce more power that way,but i knew there had to be a reason why it's not being done.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
i just dont understand how you think sometimes

how could it make more power? using your math one cylinder = 50hp so fire them at the same time = 100 hp. fine but wouldnt firing them at different time still make 100hp?
sure twice the power per power stroke by twice as long between strokes.

now think of it this way, push your quad for 1 second then stop for 1 second, then pus, then stop till you go 50 feet
would that be faster then pushing the whole time for 50 feet? its called momentum

·
Registered
85 Posts
the title of this thread says it all. You claim to be a motor guru then u make some of the "enlightening" posts displayed in this topic. Im at a loss for words.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the title of this thread says it all. You claim to be a motor guru then u make some of the "enlightening" posts displayed in this topic. Im at a loss for words.[/b]
WHY not just be quiet,and let those who care to share do it

this is why threads go bad.........JUST CLICK OUT OF IT if you don't like it

AND I never claimed to be an engine guru,but i do know how to build one

i'm still learning,AND i think i'm doing pretty good to

have a nice day

1 - 20 of 23 Posts