Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for years, but I have never until a couple of months ago been to a track. I generally just go out there and get crazy. No real form or direction in how i do it. Right now I dont see myself racing but its a distant possibility and I would like a good foundation to start on. I need some riding tips and suggestions. Basically if you know anything could you let me know.

thanks
schmitthead

·
Registered
14 Posts
alot of your boby english from normal riding is transfered to the track just some times over done at times. i have some pics of me taking coners and my ass is about 6 in. from the pegs. but on straight aways get weight over rear wheels to keep those tire stuck to the ground.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i doubt you have stock handle bars right? I cant seem to get down low enough with my bars.

·
Registered
133 Posts
get your ass off the seat and over before you enter the turn, lean forward then in the appex of the turn bring ur ass back over the rear end. you'll rail right around those corners. to pitch ur bike down in the air pull in the clutch and tap the rear break blip the trottle to bring the front up. start training your forearms to handle the arm pump. take an asprin and eat a bananna in the morning of the race. NO POP whatsoveer. the caffine reaks havoc on your mussles mid moto. drink a combo 50/50 gatorade and water this way u stay hydrated drink all the time even though you'r not thirsy. realax and wiggle your fingers whenever you can ( in mid air) this helps reduce airm pump. invest in a cable luber and cable lube clean your cable with contact cleaner then lube it b4 every race, it'll help out tremendously a works connection lever with intergrated hot start button really helps as well. most importantly HAVE FUN!!!! that's all i can give ya (can't give ya all of my secreats i may race ya one day :D ) check out www.douggust.com and click on ask the pros doug has lots of info. If you ever get the chance hang out with doug you'll learn so much. I usually try and walk the track behind him and listen to his views on how to take things. And the cool thing about doug is that if you ask him a ? he'll answer it and then some. Doug is an awesome rider on and off the track.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am assuming you are interested in motorcross racing, if not most of the stuff will apply anyways

The first thing you want to work on is holeshots. Mastering this will allow you to begin building the foundation of your riding. I am not talking about simply getting the holeshot at a start. What I am talking about is learning to holeshot your bike. Find a jump, jump it. Now move closer to the jump, stop and then jump it. Keep moving closer and closer until you can jump the jump when your are right on it. What this is doing is teaching you to holeshot out of corners and other tight areas. Ever wonder how the pros get such distance on jumps when there doesn't seem to be much take off? This is how. What you have to do is get the r's up, slip the clutch, but not all the way, keep the bike hungry while giving it plenty of throttle and you will launch like you wouldn't believe. They make beefed up clutches for a reason. You want to get use to using the clutch to perform all sorts of things, such as holeshots, brakeing, and guiding the bike. In other words, you know how when you take off on your bike and you get the arm pull from the torque?, you want to get that as fast as possible to get you up to speed as fast as possible, and have that torque launch you over the jump. Once you have mastered how to get your bike up to speed the fastest way possible,asw ell as using the speed and torgue, work on controling your bike in the air and on your landings. I'm sure you're probably aware of how to guide your bike in the air using the brake, throttle, and body english, but practice landing in the attack position and learn to race out of landings. A lot of guys lose a lot of time by the way they land, land on the gas! Stay lose and pay attention to were your body is. And remember to breathe and stay relaxed, sing a song while you're riding, it helps you breathe and stay relaxed. For corners, the guy above pretty much covered it. Just remember to break late and gas early. Practice diving into tight corners and breaking as late as your balls will alow you, then gas it! Remeber there is no coasting, you're either on the gas or on the brake. Whoops, you need to just go out and do them. You can double, tripple, or skim them, depends on what you are comfortable doing. Remember, the faster you go the better they are, usually, just remeber to let the bike move underneath you and allow your suspension to work it's magic.

As far as your bike is concerned, mx races are brutal on bikes. Keep it lubed, tuned, and the airfilter clean. First off, buy nerf bars, good handle bars, and a kill switch. When you get more comfortable and decide that this is what you want to do, buy a swingarm, shocks, a-arms, exhaust, axle, and beedlocks and a gusset kit. That should get you started.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do stretches before you race or just ride on the MX track, I am 16 and My back hurts from preloading on the jumps so before everytime i ride, i stretch, and like mentioned, i guess a banana and an asprin will definately help. If you are going through a rough set of braking bumps ( bumps under 2 feet) and they are spread out, make your body limber when you go through them, then stand somewhat far back on the seat (farther back than you normally would) with your butt off the seat and let the quad go over the bumps under you letting your arms extend with the quad moving around beneath you. Try to stay low in the air if you are racing, the longer you are in the air, the slower you will be, but dont get so low that you dont clear a jump
. When cornering, hang your ass on the fender with your foot and leg thats at the side of the berm hang over your rear fender if needed, this is what pros do and it seems to work. NEVER underestimate a jump no matter what the size is, if you mess up just a little, it could fvck you up bad if you dont know how to correct yourself in a matter milliseconds (however you spell that). Have a firm grip on the handlebars but dont have a firm posture, this will bounce you right off the quad if you do and it makes you wear out faster. If you get hot under pressure (most everyone does), then wear a "camel back" water resivoir on your back. I didnt think i needed one on the first race but my mind quickly changed after that race. When you are trying to clear a jump that is new to you, dont try to hit it balls to the walls if you arent sure, trust me, just get used to it- jump it half to a quarter way across it before you do jump it and you should be alright. Hope these tips have helped, goodluck if you start racing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
dont wear yourself out in the first few laps and dont get too excited(i know its hard) :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you're MXing, all I can say is start working out now! Work on those forearms, even in a 15-minute moto, arm pump can be crazy! :D

-RR

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have found two things that really help me with arm pump when i'm riding hard.
1. I drink lots of water or gatorade before i ride...no pop.
2. Next time you practicing notice that in tight situations you will be holding your breath for periods which deprives your muscles of much needed oxygen. I know it is one more thing to pay attention to, but try to regulate your breathing and this will help to reduce armpump greatly.

Jonesy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts