Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just trying out my new photobucket acct. Only one pic because my camera battery died, but more to come. If you're wondering, the duct tape reminds me to remove the airbox cover before kicking it over. That's the RedDogg on the left.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by fast@Jun 14 2004, 06:15 PM
looks nice how do you like the pipe
Actually, I just put the pipe on three days ago. I've only started it to check for leaks and retighten the header nuts. It sounds good but loud and I have also replaced the stock pilot jet 48 to 50 and main jet 118 to 185 w/K&N filter. No turns necessary on the fuel screw. To describe the pipe.... it is just what DR says, "FAT!" I don't know the diameter of other after market pipes, but this head pipe looks huge. I will post some pics tomorrow to show you what I mean. I have to contact DR tech support though to make sure the fit is right. The head pipe actually touches the crank case above the kick start but doesn't push on it.

By the way, I have not read about anyone else changing their pilot jet. DR told me that this was imperative for a good initial throttle response and 1/4 to 1/2 throttle power when installing their pipe & K&N filter.

P.S. The DR sytem comes with lifetime warranty and can be repacked.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD@Jun 14 2004, 07:24 PM
Nice R man!!  Thats a good idea to keep the lid on while not riding! B)
Thanks. My friends describe me as anal retentive. I can't really argue. They say, "It's going to get dirty anyway!"

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a few more...

Here is a close up of the pipe touching the case and frame...

This has been adjusted and fits now, but not much clearance.

Anyway... maybe some action shots later or when I get some Holeshot HDs. B)

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Here is a close up of the pipe touching the case and frame...[/b]

Thats a BIG HEAD pipe then........

Im sure it wont hurt ne thing just keep an eye on it...........

·
Registered
321 Posts
and your dog is a boy!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
keep tabs on that pipe where it touches. on cheech's yfz it was touching the subframe bolt just like that. 1 moto later, there is a small whole in the pip. nothing a little weld coulden't fix but still, i'd watch it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by nacsmx450r@Jun 21 2004, 10:28 PM
keep tabs on that pipe where it touches. on cheech's yfz it was touching the subframe bolt just like that. 1 moto later, there is a small whole in the pip. nothing a little weld coulden't fix but still, i'd watch it.
hey thanks... i am going to call them back and make sure the warranty covers that. i don't do torches.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by RedDogg+Jun 14 2004, 09:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-fast
@Jun 14 2004, 06:15 PM
looks nice how do you like the pipe
Actually, I just put the pipe on three days ago. I've only started it to check for leaks and retighten the header nuts. It sounds good but loud and I have also replaced the stock pilot jet 48 to 50 and main jet 118 to 185 w/K&N filter. No turns necessary on the fuel screw. To describe the pipe.... it is just what DR says, "FAT!" I don't know the diameter of other after market pipes, but this head pipe looks huge. I will post some pics tomorrow to show you what I mean. I have to contact DR tech support though to make sure the fit is right. The head pipe actually touches the crank case above the kick start but doesn't push on it.

By the way, I have not read about anyone else changing their pilot jet. DR told me that this was imperative for a good initial throttle response and 1/4 to 1/2 throttle power when installing their pipe & K&N filter.

P.S. The DR sytem comes with lifetime warranty and can be repacked. [/b]
i actually didnt changer the pilot on my 450r i run the fat boy 4 also...

didnt hurt it at all....i'm rarely down in that range though, as i race desert...

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Nice ride. The Ducan pipe is nice. A tip DUncan recommends is to take the water pump return hose (out top of water pump cover) and wrap it with a high temp rad hose. Slit it down the side, and zip tie it on there, so you don; thave to drain coolant. It will lower the temp of the water going back to the head, as its VERY close to the head pipe. I did this on mine a long time ago.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by KGB@Jun 22 2004, 11:29 AM
Nice ride. The Ducan pipe is nice. A tip DUncan recommends is to take the water pump return hose (out top of  water pump cover) and wrap it with a high temp rad hose. Slit it down the side, and zip tie it on there, so you don; thave to drain coolant. It will lower the temp of the water going back to the head, as its VERY close to the head pipe. I did this on mine a long time ago.
thanks KGB. you can't see it in the photos, but i do have an extra piece of rubber over that hose. duncan included in the kit.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
by the way everyone, i spoke with Leonard Duncan on the phone yesterday and emailed him pics of the pipe fit. he was very helpful and told me to loosen everything then use some cardboard as a shim to keep the pipe away from the frame and gear box. i used 1/4 inch pieces of rubber. anyway... i retightened everything and removed the shims. so far it has not moved back against the frame or gear box. i will ride it this weekend. Leonard said that if the problem persists, i can send the pipe back for an adjustment or another pipe. somewhat of a hastle, but they seem very receptive to my issue.

has anyone else had a problem with the fit of a duncan or other pipe?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts