Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys , WHO'S YOUR BEST FRIEND NOW????

i have been talking to a guy in the cam biz about having cams made with lots of overlap to make the most use out of my exhaust systems.

i didn't want to deal with hardweld regrinds for 2 reasons. 1) core charges are a pain. 2) hardwelds can be hard in the rockers\caps etc..

this guy turned me on to a billet cam maker who i might hook up with for my application specific cams.

now i was checking out the cam site for me, when i found a cam that would be PERFECT for all of you 500cc freaks :wacko: , tuffguy,86,hulk,kgb,29ftex,etc......... you've got a lot of motor to feed

it has the duration and overlap of the megacycle x1 but WITHOUT the special fitment problems..............more rad than the hrc.....without the headache

i coulda\ woulda used this one if i even knew it existed when i put mine together
but no, i was unaware of its existance. :ph34r: actually i might buy one, add some titanium valves and get rid of those truck axle stiff springs suggested for use with the x1. :D

the cam is available from.........................................

wait a minute, only tuffguy had my back when i was nominated village idiot. i could accept village bully, but only village idiot on a site that deals with knowing about women
perhaps tuffguy will get a cam for x-mas and the rest of you will have to get cam tips from ernie

...................mixxer

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Hook me up with the info mixxer, I've never called you an idiot. B)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mixxer kinda off topic but I trust your knowledge :) what do you know about the webcams stuff? Nmotion that is not to far from me uses them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
how about some PM's for the good peeps... old buddy
,red

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just heard through the vine that sparks "agressive" cam is actually a honda hrc cam.

anyways , the cam you seek for high comp and or large bore applications is available from ....www.johnsoncams.com and is listed as the 400-375 CRF cam.

you're welcome

............mixxer

tell them the guy from VCP sent ya

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Looks good, are you gonna try one out?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
So mixxer you think this is going to be better than a non-drop in cam? If so let me know cuz i'm sold :D

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hulk, it's so close to the x1,minus the fitment hassle, i would have used it if i had known about it when i searched for one for me. i really hate running heavy valve springs if i don't have to.

...............mixxer

·
Registered
733 Posts
so who is going to be the first to try the BIG Johnson? :D i just bought my cam... :(

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
Shuda axed me.

Tony

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Well I just ordered mine B)

It's the last he said was in stock but he is currently working on a new batch. For the most part it will drop in but some years have have clearance issues on the exhaust so they may require work. He recomends the 400-375 over the 430-400 said power output is better.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
612 Posts
so how long did he say on the next batch thing? which one do you think would be better for the 500 mixxer? like i said... it doesn't matter if i have to have some mods done to the head.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
He said he was currently working on them. He has on in stock and it wasn't spoken for so I bought it. Sorry you will just have to bug him.

mixxer thanks for the find, now i will have two paper weight cams :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
well that's n/p... this will be for the 500... depends on what mixxer has to say about it depends on which one for sure i will get...i haven't got the piston or anything yet... just kind of a winter project goin for now...i'm content with the hrc cam now... i've only got beat by 1out of 5 yfzs cuz it was on the ground and took off like a bullet

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
What do you think about the LSA on that cam vs the X1?? You think it's wide enough to put a hurt on the top end power comparatively?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Let us know how you like it hulkster!

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
It was designed for the CRF450 in a flat track application, it should rip on top. This guy is an old flat track racer so he knows what's what with the type of power a flat tracker needs.

I think for the type of power that a big bore TRX would have, this would be a great camshaft for that application. It's hard to say exactly obviously, but the longer stroke of the TRX and the added displacement of a big bore with this cam should be excellent, way better in fact than the HRC cam. Purely on speculation, couple that cam, with a 500cc TRX, stock valve sizes, a little head clean-up, and a good exhaust
, it should be very interesting.

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Oct 6 2004, 12:34 AM
What do you think about the LSA on that cam vs the X1??  You think it's wide enough to put a hurt on the top end power comparatively?
'86 where have you been? i look forward your posts.

you are right about the lsa potential power shift but just to have access to such a drop in, i would take it. split duration cam with more exh timing seem to be of particular benefit to the trx.

when i was doing the claying for fitment of the x1, sans spark plug, i noticed that the super heavy springs recommended with it gave the illusion of high compression already. i realize that the cam\springs were meant for the rev limit of the crf and were likely overkill for the trx, but i didn't want to gamble on not using the springs.

i have been chatting with ticeman (man,does he know things) about his crf built for supermoto. he uses +2mm valves all around in the crf head. that would make it +1int and +3 exh over the trx.

it would seem that the trx is limited by the -1mm exh valves\port combination. apparently this is why my setup has such a flattened curve and holds near 45hp for such a spread. once the volumetric efficiency of the exhaut port is near its' limit , it becomes a built in limiter. the split duration cam, with more exhaust duration coupled with my exhaust extends that efficiency curve as far as it will go within the limitations of the restrictive exhaust port\valve combo. hence the flat long pull near peak output for mine.

all of this reinforces my theory on my initial testing of a plethora of aftermarket exhausts (and mine), with 40hp being the limit no matter which exhaust was used ,even the stock one. this is testing the trx stock \ airbox lid off \ 175 main and no other changes than exhaust. i had determined that the trx's insensitivity to exhaust system changes was due to its' cam with only 20deg of overlap but now i have to add into that equation the smaller exh valve\ port combo.

right now it's crunch time for VCP as we begin ads in DW starting with the Dec. issue, we need to finalize much with our site\ jet kits etc...etc...
but when i can fit it in the next phase in the trx will be these changes:
stock size ti intakes to reduce inertia by half and get rid of the HEAVY springs
crf size +1mm exhaust valves and port changes to match

i can't stand the suspense..........................mixxer

1 - 20 of 49 Posts