Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you guys talked me into it. ;) I've got the Cylinder works 97mm cylinder and the 12.25:1 Venom piston coming from Woodward. My only concern is, I hope this setup proves to be reliable. I also have the HCII in her. Anyone running a similar setup?

I just started taking the quad apart last night. I'm hoping to have all my parts by Friday or Monday.
Any tips or tricks on disassembly/reassembly I need to know about? My first time going past the cam on her. :sweatingbullets:

By the way, what a great wife, instead of me having to take her somewhere for our 20 year anniversary, she let me get this setup and will probably be helping me put it in on our 20th anniversary date! :wub: I'm not sure what I'm getting her yet, probably just a fast ride on the new setup. :rock:
What more could a lady want. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well you guys talked me into it. ;) I've got the Cylinder works 97mm cylinder and the 12.25:1 Venom piston coming from Woodward. My only concern is, I hope this setup proves to be reliable. I also have the HCII in her. Anyone running a similar setup?

I just started taking the quad apart last night. I'm hoping to have all my parts by Friday or Monday.
Any tips or tricks on disassembly/reassembly I need to know about? My first time going past the cam on her. :sweatingbullets:

By the way, what a great wife, instead of me having to take her somewhere for our 20 year anniversary, she let me get this setup and will probably be helping me put it in on our 20th anniversary date! :wub: I'm not sure what I'm getting her yet, probably just a fast ride on the new setup. :rock:
What more could a lady want. LOL[/b]
What a great wife!..........and you'll love your new found torque!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Vetman-

If you haven't had the head ported, you'll really be leaving a bunch of power on the table with that setup.

Don't get me wrong, it'll run good, but the head will definately be the bottleneck of that setup. Plus, since
you'll already be replacing the gaskets, it would be a great time to get the ports tweaked! :thumbsup:

JMHO- Kris

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Ohh, and as far as tips for disassembly/reassembly:

1. Take your time
2. Be sure all the dowels are back in upon reassembly
3. Gap the rings
4. Slide the piston in the cylinder before attaching the piston to the rod
5. Put rags in the timing chain hole and case opening before trying to install the wrist pin circlips
6. Double check that both circlips are fully seated in the piston

Later- Kris

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

1. Take your time
3. Gap the rings
5. Put rags in the timing chain hole and case opening before trying to install the wrist pin circlips

Later- Kris[/b]

Great Advice!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

What more could a lady want. LOL[/b]

for your anniversary, get her a swingarm for your bike.

if you havent taken off the topend on your bike before. read and watch the cam&piston assembly walk through that posted in the pinned section. this will not only help you during reassembly but will give you an insight look on what to look for when you get there. make sure you have the needed tools.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

1. Take your time
3. Gap the rings

Later- Kris[/b]
Thanks guys for all the great advice. I'm down to the head now.
I will definatly be taking my time, that's the first thing I told myself before starting.
I guess the piston will come with instructions on gapping the rings?
Yes dropping something down into the crank or getting it out of time have been my two worst fears.
I hope the parts get here before I forget how she goes back together as well.

Thanks for the support and look out for possibly more questions to come but hopefully I'll be reporting back how well it goes together and all my new found power.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
if you loose track on how things go back together, post a thread. alot of people on here can help you out. keep a rag in themotor so you dont drop anything in there. the piston comes with ring-gapping instructions.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you selling your stock cylinder?[/b]
I think I will hold onto it for now, make sure everything goes well for a couple months. If you still want one PM me down the road.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you loose track on how things go back together, post a thread. alot of people on here can help you out. keep a rag in themotor so you dont drop anything in there. the piston comes with ring-gapping instructions.[/b]
Hey Thanks sandshots I really appreciate that. That's what I like about this site, lots of nice and knowledgable people. :thumbsup:

I have her completely apart and all my parts came from Woodward as I was finishing up. Thanks, Paul

The only problem is the piston is coming from Venom. I believe that's a 5 day ship point to me. May not see that until Monday.
This gives me the time to start cleaning everything.

Everything came apart real nice. I hope it goes together as smooth. I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
if you loose track on how things go back together, post a thread. alot of people on here can help you out. keep a rag in themotor so you dont drop anything in there. the piston comes with ring-gapping instructions.[/b]
Hey Thanks sandshots I really appreciate that. That's what I like about this site, lots of nice and knowledgable people. :thumbsup:

I have her completely apart and all my parts came from Woodward as I was finishing up. Thanks, Paul

The only problem is the piston is coming from Venom. I believe that's a 5 day ship point to me. May not see that until Monday.
This gives me the time to start cleaning everything.

Everything came apart real nice. I hope it goes together as smooth. I will keep you posted!
[/b]
youre welcomed,
prepping and organizing everything is a good thing. helps installing go alot smoother.

·
Registered
566 Posts
where do you ride at?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts