Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put an 06 trx fcr carb on my 05. On the 05 carb, I was running an HRC needle on the third clip, 195 main, and 52 pilot. It was tuned pretty well with that setup.
I started with the HRC needle on the fifth clip, 175 pilot, 75 leak, and 45 pilot(2 turns out). I got the pilot tuned in well, but am having trouble with the main. It doesn't pull as strong at WOT, so I switched to the 180, then 185, and 190. It still acts the same at WOT, so I think I may be going the wrong way.
What are you guys running for the main on an fcr? What is compairable to the 195 I used to run?

The bike is a 05, stock head, 02 crf cam, full hmf, uni with hrc lid, 12.0 piston, and 490 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
the 06 FCR is a smaller carb than the 05 so you need a smaller main, I would start with a 165 main, I did the FCR swap on my 05 and I am running a 162 main, pulls like a freight train compared to the stock carb

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
As mentioned above, you probably need to start with a smaller main - a 165 would be a good starting point if you ran well before with a 175.

When finished, the bike should feel much more crisp than before. You should not gain or lose anything on the top end - bike will be faster everywhere else though & will feel a ton faster because of the improved throttle response.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What main did you run on the 05 carb?[/b]
I ran a 178 main with the 05 carb at sea level

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
i made the switch to a 06 trx carb, your goign to have to cut the top off of your carb to get the gas tank to fit back on, so ya know

im going to say that you will need a 165 main with a 45-48 pilot and needle on the 3rd clip

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
i made the switch to a 06 trx carb, your goign to have to cut the top off of your carb to get the gas tank to fit back on, so ya know

im going to say that you will need a 165 main with a 45-48 pilot and needle on the 3rd clip[/b]
was it worth the money to do the change??????

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The FCR is one of the most worthwhile changes to the 04/05 bikes there is in my opinion - when done properly. It makes the engine respond like it should, no matter what your level of modification.

That said, I've not done an 06 conversion, but I have done numerous conversions to CRF carbs and they don't require any cutting....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts