Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just tore the back end apart after the dune trip to replace my carrier bearings (they were getting bad) and was wondering if i should just go ahead and replace the swingarm bearings while i'm at it. how long do the swingarm bearings usually last?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
you talking about the bearings that the pivot bolt goes through?

those bearings will last a long time, they dont take a beating like the bearing carrier.

youll probably have a harder time pulling the pivot bolt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you talking about the bearings that the pivot bolt goes through?

those bearings will last a long time, they dont take a beating like the bearing carrier.

youll probably have a harder time pulling the pivot bolt.[/b]

yup those are the bearings im talking about. and thanks for answering. i'll just leave 'em in for now.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
check your link bearings too.. i just found out mine were gone the hard way last night.. lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
check your link bearings too.. i just found out mine were gone the hard way last night.. lol[/b]
Pull that pivot bolt and get some grease and anti-seize compound on it. It is a bizniggle to cut out with a sawz-all if the bolt seizes to the bearing sleeves.

If you do have to go this route, the easiest way to get it out is to removed the subframe and rear shock. You can now get the sawz-all in there. You need to make two cuts right next to the engine. Once you cut through, the bolt with the thread side should come right out if you lift the engine up a bit. You will need to remove the bolts holding the engine in place.

For the side with the bolt head on it, you a dremel to grind the head off. Be careful not to grind into the frame. Then use a punch to knock it out towards the engine too.

/Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts