Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the 450R three months ago. I am going to start racing it this year in the beginner class. I need to know what would be the first thing to upgrade on the suspension. A-arms, Shocks, swing arm, etc.? And what are the options for setting up my stock suspension? As far as rebuilding the shocks to my weight, etc.? Keep in mind I have a low budget for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motocross. I accually went for the first time today with the R. I noticed that on flat landing's that the suspension bottomed out. I stiffened up the top adjustment's all of the way and it didn't help enough. I also notice that the bars jerk BAD when landing at an angle. I assume that I need: 1. more travel (via longer A-arms, and swing arm) and 2. a steering dampner. I would also like to revalve the shocks to my weight. What is the benifit of replacing the steering stem with an aftermarket?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter99@Jul 26 2004, 09:36 PM
Motocross. I accually went for the first time today with the R. I noticed that on flat landing's that the suspension bottomed out. I stiffened up the top adjustment's all of the way and it didn't help enough. I also notice that the bars jerk BAD when landing at an angle. I assume that I need: 1. more travel (via longer A-arms, and swing arm) and 2. a steering dampner. I would also like to revalve the shocks to my weight. What is the benifit of replacing the steering stem with an aftermarket?
You could try setting your preload (moving the adjustment rings on top of your springs down towards the bottom) to help with the bottoming out but I believe your handling in the woops section would suffer.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I would start with Elka....... :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
PEP or Elka. Tim Far runs pep on his 450r. As for a arms and swinger, lonestar racing, roll design, gibson, JD racing.... any of those companies.

As for an after market steering stem..... no vibe or you can make it +1.5" if you are tall or like that height. Id wait till you break your stem until you blow cash on a new one. The 450r doesnt viberate much. Compared to the yfz

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. But can I get a-arms first and utilize the stock shocks? Or is it not even worth it?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
ho wide off aarms..if you go +2 or above I wouldnt even try..your just gonna bust up some stuff & maybe get seriously injured...if you're just going +1 then you would prob. be fine

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to know what the web site address is for Swinger and Gibson. And I called Roll design, They price was like 1400.00 for a-arms, and 1100.00 for swing arm. Minimum wait of 4 weeks for a-arms and 4-6 months on a-arm. Don't think so. If some one can give me a reason to speng that much on that I will be more than willing to listen. Not to mention the wait. They suggested using the Elka quadruple rate though, they said they did all of there testing with those on. I also called lonestar. They are more reasonable but they recomended the PEP shocks. Which is atleast a 6 month wait. I kind of like the JD performance one's. They have a reasonable price tag, and are offered in long travel. Ahhhh.. What do I do? :huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
JD is fine man..those other companies kno when someone is asking how much there sparts are that the person prob. doesnt have a fair knowledge of the product so they make up some crazy number to see if you'll pay for it...they can prob. care less bc they are selling them for their real price (around $700 prob) like crazy. Just go with JD or HOUSER

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I have a Roll Design steering stem and it helped on the bump an steer! You have allot more control with the steering stem! :D As far as revalving, you can call TCS(Total Control Suspension) they can revalve your shocks for about $800 for all three.
When adjusting your shocks, do one thing at a time so you can see what's going on with your suspension. I have my rebound turn down almost all the way with the compression up about half way(of course I have Elka's). It also depends on how much you weigh! B)

TCS (909)245-7484

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just make sure you think things through. Don't go out and spend a wad on some kick [email protected]@ shocks, and then get wider a-arms. You'll have to have the shocks re-sprung. I run a set of Elka's front and back. These things really are awesome over the stockers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Revalving them is not worth it really! I think I'll save for the Elka's. Should I get the front or back first?I want to do this one thing at a time.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
If you don't get long travel, you can get Elka's for your stock a-arms. Then when you get longer a-arms, Elka will send you new bottom springs for $60. That's what I did and I still love my shocks! :D Elka's, the only way to go!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter99@Jul 27 2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info. But can I get a-arms first and utilize the stock shocks? Or is it not even worth it?
I had my fronts revalved and resprung for xc by gtthunder. If you are just starting out I dont think this is a bad route to explore. I am not saying that I would never go with aftermarket shocks, but at about a 1/3 of the cost of new, having the stock fronts reworked is a great place to start in my opinion. Mine are working great.

Carson

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by carson@Jul 28 2004, 11:05 AM
I had my fronts revalved and resprung for xc by gtthunder.  If you are just starting out I dont think this is a bad route to explore.  I am not saying that I would never go with aftermarket shocks, but at about a 1/3 of the cost of new, having the stock fronts reworked is a great place to start in my opinion.  Mine are working great.

Carson
How much for all of what you did and where do I go?

·
Registered
199 Posts
call or email Lazarus at www.gtthunder.com

Best to talk with him directly about what you are looking for since xc applications are different than mx. Mine are setup as dual rates with the first spring providing a zero preload type shock. Give me an email and I can send you some pictures of the front shocks.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Carson

1 - 20 of 21 Posts