Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the suspension on my 450R. i was wanting to put a wider front a arms but how much difference is there between standard and long travel? id like to use the stock shocks with wider a arms? is it possible?

the gt thunder linkage kit for the rear sounds awesome!!! i think we need a little stronger info on how it works vs stock. ive only read once that u absolutely have to revalve for it to work.
do the front shocks need to be adjusted so it sits level?

i am racing my 450 in mx. for under 300 bucks the linkage sounds good to me. i have the stock tires on now but would like to run the 19" or 18" mx tires. if i get the shock valved for 18s will it become a problem if i run 18 or 19s later?
thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
i know some people on this site have run aftermarket +2 a-arms with the stock shocks, but unless you are just putting around and not really racing, i would think you would be bottoming out all the time. if i were you, i would contact gt thunder about their front shock setup for the stock shocks.

about the rear linkage, he makes a linkage that is designed for 18'' and 20'' tires, so you would be able to use your 18's or 19's fine. i got the XC linkage, so i can not run 18'' tires.

www.gtthunder.com

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i did the front shock setup from gt thunder would 1" or 2" a arms work? i read on the gt thunder about the bottom eye mod for the front shocks. what does that improve? and what does it consist of? and it also says disabling the rebound? why?
id really like to be able to adjust the rebound.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Laz has a good & reasonably priced shock package for the 450R - give him a call.

I'm getting ready to do a writeup on "Long travel" suspension - here's the jist: don't waste your money - more to come soon......

About the rebound - he machines a new bottom that disables the rebound adjuster to get more travel from the shock & lower the bottommed out frame height, which will make it handle and ride much better when you lower it.

About losing the rebound adjustment - you don't need it if your shocks are setup correctly & actually it's really easy to make the quad's suspension action worse with rebound adjusters if you don't have a lot of experience with what you are doing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am also getting +2 arms and are going to use the stock shocks, however I am going send my front and rear shocks to C&D racing to get revalved. The valve job will also lower the front of the bike for better handling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts