Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the gearing of the 450 first gear is a great gear to pull the front wheels up with no effort but it revs out 2 quick, but second gear is the money gear to ride on 2 wheels all day long. Every time i try to shift from 1st to 2nd gear on a wheelie i cant keep the front wheel up. I am shifting as fast as i can and i am at the balance point. I know some of you fools can ride on 2 and shift all day long so what am i not doing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you use the clutch? If you are thats the reason... I know some people on street bikes can use clutch shifts in wheelies but just power shift it until you get good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using the clutch and just quick shifting as fast as i could but the front end just falls. I will try it with out the clutch

If anyone else has any tips for ridein 2 wheels and rollin endos etc. Post them here. I love the dirt but it is always fun to hit some asphalt every once in a while :wacko:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
another lilttle trick to do, is drivng on the side two wheels, theres a fun one, i can drive in a staright line down the road so far ive done it from 1st to 4th, but i stoped doing it once i got aftermarket tires, its a lil hard on tires, but the one day my friend was telling this guy i rode quad cuz i had no sense of ballance, cuz they rode dirt bikes, boy did i show them wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by Trx450Ryan@Aug 29 2004, 06:19 AM
another lilttle trick to do, is drivng on the side two wheels, theres a fun one, i can drive in a staright line down the road so far ive done it from 1st to 4th, but i stoped doing it once i got aftermarket tires, its a lil hard on tires, but the one day my friend was telling this guy i rode quad cuz i had no sense of ballance, cuz they rode dirt bikes, boy did i show them wrong.
Ride on 2 wheels at a slow speed then pop a wheelie, it looks pretty badass wheelieing on 1 wheel.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yea ive done that too!

·
Registered
430 Posts
The reason i bought my R over the yfz is because they said it was better at wheeling. the trick is to not use the clutch and to give it and extra shot of gaz right before shifting. i start from first and shift all the way to 5th with no problem.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by UFOmile450r@Aug 30 2004, 09:21 AM
The reason i bought my R over the yfz is because they said it was better at wheeling. the trick is to not use the clutch and to give it and extra shot of gaz right before shifting. i start from first and shift all the way to 5th with no problem.
This is what I do. I pop my front end up in second gear. When I'm ready to shift, I bring my front end up a little higher than normal then without the clutch I let up on the gas then shift . This gives me time to shift before the front end starts to come back down. That way I can get on the gas before the weight of the front pulls it down. Once you get that down, then practice doing it into fourth then fifth. Good luck! B)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Another fun trick is to start doing doughnuts and as your doing them pull up the front and spin around with the front up and come out as a catwalk.

·
Registered
315 Posts
When you're done riding the wheelie. Go straight to a nice stoppie. That looks really cool, and will show any 2 wheeler how your balance is.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Outlwd@Aug 31 2004, 11:07 PM
When you're done riding the wheelie. Go straight to a nice stoppie. That looks really cool, and will show any 2 wheeler how your balance is.
Yup and you can give the two wheeler the bird(The American high sign)to let him know that the quad generation is here to stay! :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is all good info. I need to be more careful, today i went to roll out and endo and was about 2 inches from putting my Arai into the assphalt. Thank god for the front bumper. The brakes are amazing! Also when rolling on the 2 front wheels turn the wheel as you feel you are losing momentum and you can get the quad to 180. Looks really sweet.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I was out riding yesterday and i went to do a endo...and i went right over frontwards..haha. it landed on me and then i just pushed it over and got back on it...first kick and i was ready to go agian.
about turning your wheels..would that not put a lot of pressure on the tie rods. the whole weight of the quad trying to turn the wheels more then the tie rods will allow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Mitco39@Sep 5 2004, 12:01 PM
about turning your wheels..would that not put a lot of pressure on the tie rods. the whole weight of the quad trying to turn the wheels more then the tie rods will allow.
I have not bent the front tie rods at all, YET! Here in the baltimore area we had THe Big Events bike stunt show at M and T bank stadium (Ravens) last sunday. There were a handfull of quads that were pullin some really sick variations. The everyone was on 400 EX's with the exception of a 450r, one kid was rideing a wheelie in reverse then jumped onto the rear edge of the seat, spun around faceing forward then jumped onto the seat. I have some of the pics on my camera phone i need to figure out how to send them to my laptop. Anyway sure enough as soon as i got home i busted the 450 and tryed the reverse wheelie . I let off the clutch way to hard and mangaled the rear grab rail. I hate aluminum -_-
Anyone try this revers wheelie yet?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone haveing a problem with the stock alumimum grab rail. Mine is all kinds of bent up. My old 400ex has a steel bar that has never bent. So i guess my question is who make a replacement grab rail that is going to be able to take some abuse? Everything that i have been seeing is aluminum <_<

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
if u got a steel bender, welder and etc, im sure u could make yourself a dam nice steel grab bar, just be careful, cuz with a strong grab bar, ull be more entiltled to wrecking your subframe.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Yah thats what i been debating on doing also......how hard was it to make...what did u make it out of?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
i havnt made one, but 1 inch square or round stell tubing would do goos, or wat thickness u feel like using, then the first thing i would do is remove the stock grab bar, line up a similar bar mounts tack them in place, see if they will line up, and then build the rest of the bar they way ud like it from there, and since its steel, prime it up and paint it.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by TRXjunky@Sep 18 2004, 05:40 PM
Anyone haveing a problem with the stock alumimum grab rail. Mine is all kinds of bent up. My old 400ex has a steel bar that has never bent.  So i guess my question is who make a replacement grab rail that is going to be able to take some abuse?  Everything that i have been seeing is aluminum <_<
PRM makes a strong rear bar! :D

http://www.prm-atv.com/

·
Registered
80 Posts
YA IF U CAN FIND A GRAB BAR THAT CAN TAKE A GOOD BEATING THAN U COULD TRY A TRICK CALLED SCRATCH AND GO. YOU PULL A WHEELIE AND DROP IT ON THE GRAB BAR AND PULL IT OFF THE GRAB BAR AND KEEP THE WHEELS IN THE AIR

(LOOKS COOL AT NIGHT ON PAVEMENT SPARKS FLY)

I JUST DO IT ON MY 250EX CUZ ITS STEEL BUT ITS PRETTY GRINDED DOWN THOUGHT <_<

1 - 20 of 53 Posts