Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does a stroker kit actually do. I hear about stroker kits for the yfz, the z/kfz/dvx and the 400ex mostly but is there one for the 450r and what in the world does it do and improove etc?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
First they shorten the rod and then they move the pin on the crank higher up. This makes the piston go higher into the cylinder and lower down creating more room for gas to go into the cylinder. Also, they shave the skirt cause a normal piston would hit with these modifications. Now you can put a smaller spocket on the back and you will not lose anything on the low end. The stroker cause allot of power and allows the motor to rev up higher and still keep its low end all the way though.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Jun 10 2004, 10:53 AM
Now you can put a smaller spocket on the back and you will not lose anything on the low end.
if you put a smaller sprocket on the rear, you will be gearing it up, meaning your losing bottom end.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by WhiteZee+Jun 10 2004, 01:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Rico'450R
@Jun 10 2004, 10:53 AM
Now you can put a smaller spocket on the back and you will not lose anything on the low end.
if you put a smaller sprocket on the rear, you will be gearing it up, meaning your losing bottom end. [/b]
I think that he ment u wouldn't loose any pwr compairing to stock.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
That was the point I was trying to make. A stroker changes your power curve. Making your sprocket smaller, you will not lose any low end. That's why people stroke the motor. I've heard of lowering the sprocket by 2 sizes and you still will not lose any bottom end, plus you will gain top speed!
My 465ex stroker had a top speed of 85 with 15/36 gears! B)
And nothing could touch it in a drag race. Until my pump up 450R came along! :ph34r:

·
Registered
65 Posts
so you would need an new piston for a stroker.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,033 Posts
No you do not. And contrary to what was stated above in this 9 year old thread, your piston does not need to be modified. You will only need a new piston if you are changing the bore size. But if you are still running on the stock piston I highly suggest you get a new one.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
you dont need a new piston with the cheap hotrods stroker crank because it has a shortened rod.
the good way to stroke these motors is to send the stock crank to crankworks and have them stroke it keeping the stock length rod. just have to get a stroker piston or a cylinder spacer

·
Registered
65 Posts
would a hotrods crank work fine though. and when i get my stroker crank im getting a new cp 12:5:1 with it aswell. but how expensive is crankworks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
would a hotrods crank work fine though. and when i get my stroker crank im getting a new cp 12:5:1 with it aswell. but how expensive is crankworks.
Yes it will work. Everyone has their own opinion on the subject. Some say they are great some say they are terrible. I know a few people that have been running them for a few years with no issues.

Also fyi, if you run a 12.5:1 piston you will need to run race gas.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
if you want more displacement for "cheap" I would go with the cylinder works big bore cylinder over the hotrods stroker. remember quality costs more though

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was looking at big bores. Most of them are very expensive. Does the kit come with a higher compression piston then stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts