Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Truck Yea
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Todd, was speaking to El Mamito about some good all around desert type of tires and he said that he has been using STI tech4 XC's with good results. I also came across a review by yourself on yfz central that you liked them in looser sandy type conditions. Im interested in the rears

Edit: other choices are:
-reg razr
-holeshot gncc
-razr xc

I usually ride in looser sand/harder desert type conditions with some wooded trails mixed in.

How are they at cornering, able to slide well but not slide out? They heavy? How do they handle looser sand vs hardpack?

Thanks so much for any help :)

-CJM

Right now its a toss up on what I want to get, GBC race rex (or whatever they call them now), razr xc, keep the gbc xrex i just got, etc.

·
Truck Yea
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea for the price they seem worth it. I like the razr XC but man the price is nuts.

·
Registered
795 Posts
IMO the Gbc xrex is as good as razr 2's.My buddy has a set of razr 2's now and just told me the other day his next set will be xrex's.I run Xrex's I haven't used STI's though

·
Truck Yea
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worried about how heavy the xrex are. Dont like super heavy tires.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts

·
Truck Yea
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im soo undecided lol. Do I try something new and find they dont work for me or go with something like the gncc or reg razr that I know are tried and true by many. Course theres also the razr xc which is supposed to work super well in loose/hardpack conditions

·
Truck Yea
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kenda Kutter Xc's are good tires also.
Also super heavy tho.

Honestly Ill prbabyl wind up with a razr in the end just b/c I know it worked for me before. Just dang $$$

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ran the STi XC's half of last season and im running them again this season. i have ran them in all types of terrain. i have to say i am suprised they are still as cheap as they are. i have ran various other brands and i have to say these tires take the cake. the razr xc's hook up realy well but seemed to wear out realy fast and my ITPs were heavy. the goldspeeds were realy soft and also had a lot of wheel spin. as far as the STi's go, the fronts track well, they dont "push" to much. the rears are directional and can be ran backwards in the mud for better traction. i have noticed that they hook up pretty well in looser dirt. as far as i can tell they are a versitle good all around tire. it is worth giving them a shot. i have also been running the STI MC's with the same results.

·
Truck Yea
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4ply wouldnt hold up to well.

snekee how did you like them drifting in corners? Do they grab and slide well, too much grab, to little? Thats my biggest gripe for most tires, poor side bite.

·
Registered
11 Posts
with the maxxis xc they seem to grip to much. the goldspeeds were all over the place(really loose in the corners and slid all over. The STI's push but not to much. you dont feel olike you are going to tip over in some of the corners. as far as grip i have ran these in the WORCS series and Quad X and had no issues with grip. tires can make or break you in a race so i wanted to try quite a few brands. the STI's are the best i've found.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
tires can make or break you in a race so i wanted to try quite a few brands. the STI's are the best i've found.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Todd, was speaking to El Mamito about some good all around desert type of tires and he said that he has been using STI tech4 XC's with good results. I also came across a review by yourself on yfz central that you liked them in looser sandy type conditions. Im interested in the rears

Edit: other choices are:
-reg razr
-holeshot gncc
-razr xc

I usually ride in looser sand/harder desert type conditions with some wooded trails mixed in.

How are they at cornering, able to slide well but not slide out? They heavy? How do they handle looser sand vs hardpack?

Thanks so much for any help :)

-CJM

Right now its a toss up on what I want to get, GBC race rex (or whatever they call them now), razr xc, keep the gbc xrex i just got, etc.
Sorry for the delay, been on vacation. The older STI tires had a harder rubber which made them work well on sandy tracks BUT the harder rubber would crack and break down. The newer STI tires use a slightly softer rubber which still works well and holds up a lot better. For the price they are tough to beat. I used them and loved them....but that's just me. If you still need tires, hit me up with a PM.

·
Truck Yea
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worries Todd.

Im still debating what tire to get. When riding do the STI like to slide out too easily? I had a set of kenda klaws that slid out so easily I almost lost control many times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts