Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent an email Monday to Steve Nace Racing Promotions asking them if the races Friday and Saturday were points related races.

Got an email back saying that they weren't, which was cool.

In the same Email that I sent I told them that I would be leaving Tuscaloosa, Alabama at 3:00 after work and coming to race Friday night in the open class and 4 stroke class.

Got an email back saying to come on, hope to see you there,
steve

I drove over 3 hours from Tuscaloosa to Cookeville, Tennessee to race and got there 10 minutes after one of my heat races and they said that I would not be able to race because I didn't make the heats. They wouldn't even let me start in the back like I was willing to do. And it's not like there was 20 quads out there there was only 4 in each heat and 8 in the features.

This doesn't sound like a top knotch racing promotion that I read about all the time. Cell phone is always turned off and mailbox is always full. This could have saved me a lot of gas money if the cell was on. I realize he probably gets a ton of phone calls but when you promote races that comes with the job.

If you're running a race program don't turn anybody away if they want to give you there hard earned money just to have a little fun, especially if they're willing to start in the back.

What a crock of crap!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I have a raced about 13 races with Nace and although I do not know him that well, I will without question stand up for him. He is not getting rich off of any of his promotions, and does this because he loves flat track racing. There is a lot that goes into making a series or race good and fair for everyone. More than just making one guy who could not show up on time happy by letting him skip all of the heats and go right to the main race. There may have only been 8 quads in the heat but they showed up on time and followed the rules. crap happens and it may have not been your fault for being late but thats life. Next time allow more time or don't cut it close and expect him to change the rules just for one guy out of many.

The Nace races are far from the best racing in the world, but its the structure and timeliness of the practices, heats and mains that gets everybody to the race, and home on time. I have seen Nace expect 100 people and have 400 show up in MC's and quads to race. That night i ran my main at nearly 1:00AM in the morning, and we were all bitchin and moaning about the heats and mains running 3 hours late. I have seen everyone gripe about him allowing people to do what you were asking and I can assure you it did not make his day to turn you away like that. But the fact is he tries hard to please everyone and it was the correct decision to respect his schedule and the races and make it fair for the 8 guys who ran those heats and main. I feel for ya man, gas prices suck and I don't understand how people can afford to race anymore hardly with travel like that. Hope you change your opinion of him and realize he has to jump through to many hoops anymore to even put these races on. Im sure you are a great guy who is just blowing off some steam, so have a good one man and be safe when you race.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a raced about 13 races with Nace and although I do not know him that well, I will without question stand up for him. He is not getting rich off of any of his promotions, and does this because he loves flat track racing. There is a lot that goes into making a series or race good and fair for everyone. More than just making one guy who could not show up on time happy by letting him skip all of the heats and go right to the main race. There may have only been 8 quads in the heat but they showed up on time and followed the rules. crap happens and it may have not been your fault for being late but thats life. Next time allow more time or don't cut it close and expect him to change the rules just for one guy out of many.

The Nace races are far from the best racing in the world, but its the structure and timeliness of the practices, heats and mains that gets everybody to the race, and home on time. I have seen Nace expect 100 people and have 400 show up in MC's and quads to race. That night i ran my main at nearly 1:00AM in the morning, and we were all bitchin and moaning about the heats and mains running 3 hours late. I have seen everyone gripe about him allowing people to do what you were asking and I can assure you it did not make his day to turn you away like that. But the fact is he tries hard to please everyone and it was the correct decision to respect his schedule and the races and make it fair for the 8 guys who ran those heats and main. I feel for ya man, gas prices suck and I don't understand how people can afford to race anymore hardly with travel like that. Hope you change your opinion of him and realize he has to jump through to many hoops anymore to even put these races on. Im sure you are a great guy who is just blowing off some steam, so have a good one man and be safe when you race.[/b]

I don't have a bad opinion of him, it just would have been nice to say if you don't make it on time that you can't enter. I'm still going to make one of his races sometime, they looked like a blast. You're right I'm just venting, not pissed off or nothing, just a little upset.

It's hard to tell a 4 year old in the back we just rode for over 3 hours for nothing and got the same amount of ride time back. I think her crying because she didn't get to see daddy race made me more mad than anything.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Very well said Miller.
I have also raced a few of Nace's events. I think he does a good job and always has a great turnout compared to the other local races I do.
As for not letting you race. It is in the rulebook that if you dont atleast start the heat you cant race the main. He has to follow the rules or else it will just make more people upset, and then it gets to a point of where do you draw the line. Im sure he didnt want to have to turn you away. I think he is a great guy and have even seen him work on racers bikes during an event to try and help them out and get them going. Most promoters have their noses way too far in the air to actually grab a wrench for a random racer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very well said Miller.
I have also raced a few of Nace's events. I think he does a good job and always has a great turnout compared to the other local races I do.
As for not letting you race. It is in the rulebook that if you dont atleast start the heat you cant race the main. He has to follow the rules or else it will just make more people upset, and then it gets to a point of where do you draw the line. Im sure he didnt want to have to turn you away. I think he is a great guy and have even seen him work on racers bikes during an event to try and help them out and get them going. Most promoters have their noses way too far in the air to actually grab a wrench for a random racer.[/b]

I need to brush up on the rules a little bit, thanks for pointing that out jebbin12. Is there a place where I can read and print them off at?

If he's following the AMA or ATVA rules I can understand that. I wish that I would have had a set of them before I left though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Pretty sure he uses the AMA rules.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts