Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got engine in the bike and is complete but will not start.....Did manage to get it to run for about 2 seconds or less but was even hard to do that.... Everything is in time and I meticulusly checked all timing marks before final assembley along with valve lash. It is a 44mm and its my first lectron so any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sure sounded like a beas for the 1 or 2 seconds it did run....

What are some settings that would help me get this started I kicked this thing till I was wore out!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on someone with some Lectron experience please chime in here... what should be my "starting" adjustmens on this carb????

·
Registered
313 Posts
Make sure the bowl if full of fuel, but not overfull (flooding engine). What fuel and what needle? The adjustment should be between 50.5-52 mm to set the idle. I'd start rich (short needle adj) and lean it one turn at a time til it won't idle then back in 1/2 turn. The needle height only affects idle mix. Everything else is in the taper of the needle. I always ran the Packard PE2 needle for alcohol and PE4 for gas at 8000+ feet elevation.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a PE4 metering rod and i am running C12 fuel.....I will be trying it again today

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would also recheck your lash on your vavles. I know when I got my head redone and put it on the lash was perferct. Turned the motor over a few times and they had all tightened way up.

Just a thought

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure the bowl if full of fuel, but not overfull (flooding engine). What fuel and what needle? The adjustment should be between 50.5-52 mm to set the idle. I'd start rich (short needle adj) and lean it one turn at a time til it won't idle then back in 1/2 turn. The needle height only affects idle mix. Everything else is in the taper of the needle. I always ran the Packard PE2 needle for alcohol and PE4 for gas at 8000+ feet elevation.[/b]

What would be overfull on the fuel bowl?? its over 3/4 full

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could the valves have gotten far enough out after kicking it and it did run a few times for a second or two to keep it from starting again??

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its running!! Its a beast....Adjusted the carb and checked valve lash...Valves were still correct....Did find a crack in my Thermostat cover though that suxx

·
Admin
2,546 Posts
The ticket is to make sure and measure that needle and keep it anywhere from 50-52 mm tall. Adjust accordingly between those paramaters and it should run fine. Adjust the powershot for 3/4 to wide open tunning.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got up today and it cranked quite easily and would even idle...But once it gets hot it doesnt want to crank easily at all

·
Registered
898 Posts
I was gonna suggest you starting your new build on your stock carb just to be sure it wasn't your engine, but you've got it now....

Bet you wish your Lectron had hot start to lean out a hot engine a bit for easier hot starting,... its kewl!

I've always liked the Lectron carbs when I used them...

My only beef was that there is no accelerator pump on the Lectron for that low end WOT stab....

Sure, you can get the engine to pump through the low end lean condition without AP, but it does require finesse tuning skills no doubt....

Good luck and enjoy your new build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts