Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently acquired a 2006 trx450er and the guy just put a full aftermarket exhaust on it and because of this you have to slightly give it throttle for the engine to start. He said he believes it needs shimmed. I went out riding for a day and ended up killing the battery trying to get it started over and over now when I go to start it it will back fire and throw a small flame I just want to know if it could be a jetting issue or if I need to get the valves shimmed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should never give a trx450er throttle while trying to start it because this could cause an engine kickback and damage the engine according to Honda. The valves could need to be shimmed because when the valves are out of spec the engine becomes harder to start. It could be in the jetting too. I’d take off the carb and clean it and check what jets are in it anyways (If you have an aftermarket exhaust and take off the air box lid you should be around a 162 main jet and 42 or 45 pilot).

·
Registered
22 Posts
The starter clutch and reduction gear could also make you bike not want to start and will make a distinctive sound while trying to start the bike. The starter clutch and reduction gear will break when people give it gas while trying to start the bike. I recommend you watch these 3 YouTube videos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts