Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else besides me find it easier to start if its outta gear rather then in gear? Its not problem when it has been running..its just the first kick of the day. I have adjusted my clutch and it has the required sag. Just wanted to know if neone else noticed this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same thing, don't worry. First start of the day takes like 5 or more kicks in gear for me. If it's in neutral I just pump in some fuel, turn on choke, and first kick it's running like a charm.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
when you kick it over in gear you are turning all the transmission gears, even with the clutch in. Thats why its so much harder. When the tranny gears are cold the dont turn as easy. Once it warms up the gears turn much easier. I always start mine in Neutral when I first start it and it starts on the first kick everytime. ...Also if you use the choke you have to put it in neutral anyway so you can let off the clutch and use your hand to turn the choke off. So I would just put it in neutral before I start it for the first time.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Actually, what's happening is:

When you pull in the clutch and the transmission is in gear - the gears do not spin - because they are directly connected to the rear wheels via the countershaft/sprocket/chain/rear sprocket.

The reason it is more difficult is because the oil is cold and thick - since it is a wet clutch, there is oil trapped between all the clutch plates --- this cold, thick oil causes friction and drag between the fiber plates (which spin with the engine) and the metal plates (which spin with the transmission - which is presently stopped) when the clutch is disengaged (pulled in).

When you shift the quad into neutral, the clutch remains engaged and transfers the motion directly to the main gear shaft - which spins --- however, when in neutral, there is no connection to the countershaft (and thus the rear wheels) - so the mainshaft & gears spin freely and since the clutch is also spinning as an assembly and has no real force against it - you don't get the friction from the cold oil between the steel and fiber plates.

Make sense?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 21 2004, 07:27 PM
Actually, what's happening is:

When you pull in the clutch and the transmission is in gear - the gears do not spin - because they are directly connected to the rear wheels via the countershaft/sprocket/chain/rear sprocket. 

The reason it is more difficult is because the oil is cold and thick - since it is a wet clutch, there is oil trapped between all the clutch plates --- this cold, thick oil causes friction and drag between the fiber plates (which spin with the engine) and the metal plates (which spin with the transmission - which is presently stopped) when the clutch is disengaged (pulled in).

When you shift the quad into neutral, the clutch remains engaged and transfers the motion directly to the main gear shaft - which spins --- however, when in neutral, there is no connection to the countershaft (and thus the rear wheels) - so the mainshaft & gears spin freely and since the clutch is also spinning as an assembly and has no real force against it - you don't get the friction from the cold oil between the steel and fiber plates.

Make sense?
yes it does. At least I was right about something. There is something spinning in there still when its not in neutral...right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
very well put ATC.yep mine starts just like yall's

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Just the outer clutch basket.

The inner clutch basket is what's connected the the transmission - when the clutch is pulled in and the quad is not rolling - the inner clutch basket is still (since it's essentially tied directly to the back tires) ----- when you kick with it in gear and the clutch pulled the fiber clutch plates are spinning with the outer basket & engine - they are dragging (mostly oil friction) against the steel clutch plates which are sitting still with the inner basket.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 21 2004, 07:38 PM
Just the outer clutch basket.

The inner clutch basket is what's connected the the transmission - when the clutch is pulled in and the quad is not rolling - the inner clutch basket is still (since it's essentially tied directly to the back tires) ----- when you kick with it in gear and the clutch pulled the fiber clutch plates are spinning with the outer basket & engine - they are dragging (mostly oil friction) against the steel clutch plates which are sitting still with the inner basket.
You can even feel the bike want to lunge forward when you kick it in gear...while its cold that is.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Yep - the drag against the steel plates transfers a small amount of power thru the transmission to the back tires --- unfortunately, your leg is only capable of delivering a relatively small amout of power - so the power that's used by friction makes it more difficult to start in gear with the clutch pulled.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
thanks for the info 86....thats good to know.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya thanks alot...learned alot about that one.
I Love this website!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts