Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out on a limb here but has anyone ever rebuilt their starter motor? Pretty much I ordered a rebuild kit with the intentions of rebuilding it but before doing so I had my brother cerakote the cases to match the rest of my engine. To do that he has to bake the paint and prior I removed the inner oil seal which prevents oil from the transmission from leaking past the rotor shaft into the coil section. My dilemma is not realizing it but Honda doesn’t sell that oil seal or list it on their diagrams. I’ve found the manufacture is from Japan “NOK” and a code on the seal itself says BC1693G but that’s all I know. I can’t find that part number anywhere and there are no markings saying the oil seal size or cross references. Anyone by chance have a part number or know the size?

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,783 Posts
Can you just use the old seal? I’m sure that’s not ideally what you’d like to do, but might be your only option. Otherwise, get out your calipers and measure the shaft, the hole it goes into, and the thickness and you should be able to find an oil seal using those dimensions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can you just use the old seal? I’m sure that’s not ideally what you’d like to do, but might be your only option. Otherwise, get out your calipers and measure the shaft, the hole it goes into, and the thickness and you should be able to find an oil seal using those dimensions.
Yeah I ended up doing exactly what you said and measuring the inner and outer diameters and height. I found someone with the size online so we’ll see. I did ruin the old seal with the puller so it’s not an option.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,783 Posts
Good deal man, I hope the new seal works for ya and you can get the starter put back together. Post some pics of this motor, sounds like it’s pretty sweet with the cerakote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good deal man, I hope the new seal works for ya and you can get the starter put back together. Post some pics of this motor, sounds like it’s pretty sweet with the cerakote.
I appreciate it the seal came in and it’s the exact same one so it all worked out. The part number BC1693G was correct and there is a supplier in the US that sells it for future reference for anyone else that needs it.

As for the engine I ended up doing a stroker kit to 510cc since I had to split the cases to fix a cracked case. While I’m in there I ended up rebuilding everything, all new bearings oil seals, replaced all the trans gears and c-clips, had my brother weld the starter reduction gear so it won’t ever fail, I converted the heads to stainless and had a valve job done with the titanium springs also, and that’s where I’m at current with the build. I should of had him cerakote the cases but I already put the bearings and seals in before considering it so he just vapor honed them for me and we cerakoted the valve cover and side cover like stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts