Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
will it smooth out more? I guess you will have to sand it for that won't you?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
looks sweet.!! cant wait to see the finished project. B)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow looks like a lot of work?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lukester720, i am going to sand it down with 600 and give it a nice clear coat so its extremely smooth

snowgasm, It is alot of work but i enjoy doing it, it took 2 layers of carbon fiber so you didnt see the red plastics (and even in 2 places u can see a dot of red but very hard to see unless u are looking for the mess up)

only problem now is i have no more carbon fiber and i have the back plastics to do, other wing, and the 2 front pieces behind the wings

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thats cool ya enjoy doing it.
Me I would rather dissassemble my quad and go thru it for the next race.
How long did it take ya to do just that 1 side?
Going to be very custom when your done!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it would have been alot faster if i had done more then 1 piece at a time but i didnt have the adaquite amout of carbon to do so, so i would have to say about 1 day if i didnt have to wait for the resin to dry or anything but since i just have been working on it when i can it has taken me 3-4 days to get this far but like i said if i did all at one time i would be more then half way through. *while 1 is drying start on another and another and when im done go back to first and go to next step*. the back plastics are going to be the hardest because im gunna have to lay the final piece in 1 shot and thats alot of bending and manuvering to get it right and i only have aprox 10-15 minutes fron when i mix the resin, so im gunna say if i apply the first layer of resin so the carbon would stick i will have 8-13 minutes to lay it down and thats a pritty close call. seems like a long time when ur sitting around watching the clock but when ur racing it, its a totaly diffrent story

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450Rampage@Oct 7 2004, 07:43 PM
lukester720,  i am going to sand it down with 600 and give it a nice clear coat so its extremely smooth

snowgasm,  It is alot of work but i enjoy doing it, it took 2 layers of carbon fiber so you didnt see the red plastics (and even in 2 places u can see a dot of red but very hard to see unless u are looking for the mess up)

only problem now is i have no more carbon fiber and i have the back plastics to do, other wing, and the 2 front pieces behind the wings
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22231
[/quote]

Just wondering why you wouldnt use a mold release gel and only use the oem plastics as a mold???? Then you would have real carbon fiber fenders and not just carbon fiber covered fenders??? I am not being rude, the work looks good I just wonder why is all :wacko: . I know CF is light weight but after you would be done covering all the fenders there is gonna be some added wieght, if you didnt use the oem's and just used the carbon fiber you would then be maybe lighter even??? Totaly JMO.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i really like it......man....it took some balls to start that project.i have nothing but respect for that.can't wait to see it after the 600 and some clear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts