Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx450er (gutted exhaust, athena 500 big bore)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 trx450er with a Athena 500 big bore. I love low end torque and power! Should I do stage 1 2 or 3 hotcam. I don’t want to lose any pow end power but I wouldn’t mind some gains in the mid range or top end. Ik a stage 3 will cause me to lose some in the bottom end so I don’t think I want to run that. Will a stage 2 cam cause me to lose any in the bottom end. And will a stage 1 give me any up top or in the middle. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks, Korbin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We need to know something about your motor build before we can recommend a cam.
It just has an Athena 500 big bore. If I Get a cam I’ll prolly do the green wire mod. I’m also planning on opening up my air box. I have the baffle and tip out of my oem exhaust

·
Registered
146 Posts
It just has an Athena 500 big bore. If I Get a cam I’ll prolly do the green wire mod. I’m also planning on opening up my air box. I have the baffle and tip out of my oem exhaust
I would get the stage 2 hot cam

Reactions: El Mamito USMC

·
Registered
532 Posts
Honestly the Stage 3 works really well on the 06 motors especially if you're running a Big Bore kit. You don't loose a whole lot of Bottom end it give you a very wide power band from my experience.

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
38 Posts
I have a 520 stroker big bore, and I am running the stage 3, has a good bottom end torque and then doesn't stop pulling. I ran the stage 1 when it was stock good performance, but from what I have read if you have a big bore stage 3's do better in the higher rpm. I assume you have the motor mainly put back together, but if you can get the head ported, do it.

·
Truck Yea
5,944 Posts
i had a stage 2 with that same setup and the power fell on its face in the upper rpm. went stage 3 and was much happier.

Reactions: El Mamito USMC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had a stage 2 with that same setup and the power fell on its face in the upper rpm. went stage 3 and was much happier.
Did you lose much on the bottom end? I love bottom end power. Especially because I ride a lot of trails. I ride mostly trails and dunes as I live in Utah and have loads of trails and 5 sand dune in the area.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you lose much on the bottom end? I love bottom end power. Especially because I ride a lot of trails. I ride mostly trails and dunes as I live in Utah and have loads of trails and 5 sand dune in the area.
So what I’m saying is I don’t want to lose bottom end but I would like to gain some on top to mid range. The best of both worlds

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,845 Posts
You can’t have a cam that’s the best of both worlds.

A cam moves the power around, and a HC3 is going to be more of a top end cam. However, you can gain the bottom end power that you lose in other ways. Big bore, stroker, compression are the primary ways to gain lower end power. You already have a BB, but without knowing what compression you are running it’s hard to say how your bottom end power will be.

Maybe you should call Web Cams and talk to them about your goals and see what they suggest. They make excellent cams and have a lot more options than just three like HC.

If you are mainly riding trails an HC3 isn’t the best.

·
Truck Yea
5,944 Posts
i went web when a stage 3 was unavail after my engine jumped time. worth every penny. i do miss the bb 490 kit, but I traded it for the reliability a 470 kit will make. the 490 made a bit better low end toque overall than the 470. I did have a 12:1 piston in the 490 kit though, the 13:1 they usually come with is ok but where I am gets way to hot in the summer to not use race fuel. build and i anticipate 35-50/hrs easy piston drops with my 470 kit. i will admit the stock bore lasted the longest, 150/hrs and the crank locked up. i changed the piston at 50/hrs with a cp ceramic coated one i got from alba racing

frankly if race fuel wasnt such an annoyance id go 14.5:1 or something and keep it stock bore. when i had more free time id blow through at least a take every time i went riding. id need a drum of VP at that rate.

compression is power, big bore makes power but not like you think. Im going alleviate my lesser power by going to 14/38 vs 14/37 i have.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
i always run HC3, if you might be concern about the low end loss, just go one tooth higher on the rear sprocket and see how it feels.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
CJM is knowledgeable (A.k.A god father) of this site. He says the same set up with stage 2 was crap, I’d take his word for it. Get the stage 3, I trail ride too but my trails I’m scooting real fast in high RPM,s . People who ride in trails should be specific because my trails have burms woops a few jumps and track like terrain. If you have similar conditions go with it. What kind of trails you riding?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts