Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i got a 13 tooth front sprocket and 40 tooth rear sprocket would it increase acceleration and increase top speed?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about an 04/05 and yes it would increase acceleration but would DECREASE top speed. You can't have both.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
i had that combo on my 05 450R and i did not like it at all. I ride sand, i had 21x12x8 tires and it had no top end at all it seemed like it just wasted my gears, meaning i was shifting all day. But to answer your question yes 13/40 is all low end no top end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had that combo on my 05 450R and i did not like it at all. I ride sand, i had 21x12x8 tires and it had no top end at all it seemed like it just wasted my gears, meaning i was shifting all day. But to answer your question yes 13/40 is all low end no top end.[/b]
what a good combo for sand riding?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
for sand, i would keep it stock (amazingly) i like it best stock. Or try 14/39. There are many factors to consider one thing is tire size.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Unless you plan on riding 60 mph through the dunes, 13/40 is perfectly fine. I've run 13/41 for a while now with 21" paddles and it was fine. I never even got to 5th gear in the dunes. On wide open stretches, it would've been nice to have a little more top end but it was not a big deal. Since my new build has a considerable amount more torque, I'm going to try 13/39 and see if it works. Again, if you're on an 04-05 and it's basically stock with mild mods, 13/40 or 41 is perfectly fine for dunes.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
with 13/40 i was just shifting all day, it was not good. 14/38 much more useable gears.
On the side note, i raced someone with stock gearing and i had 13/40 i got my A handed too. WE both had same modifications. So that is my testimonial, listen or not.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Went duning this weekend with 14-38, Hate it! It's too tall, even with my mods. The only reason I even ran this gearing, is cuz it's the best gearing I can find for one particular hill we were racing up. I prefer 13-38 or 40. Haven't tried 39 or 41, need to buy one of each and try em.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts