Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I’ve searched and searched but couldn’t find exactly what’s going on with my bike even though this topic is beat to death… I just purchased a 05 450 and it had fmf full exhaust, air box lid on, and stock jets. would start and idle but ran like crap… so I read up on what jets everyone was running with full exhaust and no lid (because I plan on taking it off) and got 48to50 - 175to185. Well tried a 50 pilot and it wouldn’t even start dropped to a 48 then to a 45 and still way to rich (which confuses me because it’s smaller than stock) It will start and idle (idle kinda surges but not bad) I can rev and no hesitation but blowing black smoke and un-burnt fuel out of exhaust but goes back to idle and does fine. Now as soon as I put it in gear and try to give it gas is spits and sputters and can’t give it a little throttle or it dies. I have to get on it and get up in the rpms just to keep it running and once I start moving it spits/sputters/backfires and has no power till mid range then runs like a scalded ape but every now and then will hit a false limiter. When cruising at a steady speed/throttle it cuts in and out and when I let off the gas and pull in clutch it dies instantly. After every time I test it I pull it apart and the intake side of carb has a puddle of gas in it and had been spraying gas into the filter. I’m out of ideas I’ve changed the carb with another stock carb (thinking something was bleeding through) jets currently are 45/178 needle is on 3rd notch and air screw is 2 turns out. Have checked for air leaks, new plug, gas cap vent, carb is clean, have a new coil on the way just in case that’s the issue. TIA

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well usually the False Rev Limiter is a sign it is way to rich. A lot of people get the idea if their bike is not running right they need to go up in Jetting sizes not always the answer.

Assuming you have the Stock 04/05 Style Carburetor?

I can give you better jetting number to try if you states your Elevation and temperature where you live at...

You can try this. Drop the Needle clip to the Middle Setting.

Go back to the 48 or even a 45 Pilot Jet.

Start off with a 145 or 150 Main Jet.

See how it runs with that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts