Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the track to practice the other day and another 450r was there. I went up to the guy to ask a few questions. I was planning on getting the Sparks pipe and ask him how he liked it. He kinda frowned and said " It's ok, but it is rusting on the header.". I looked down at it and sure enough it was rusting. Its wasn't that bad but he had only had it a few months or so. I ask him if he called sparks and he had said no. So mabey they will do something about this. Now I am thinking Yoshi or HMF.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If it is a ceramic coat it shouldn't rust, period. So what I am wondering is if Sparks will do anything about it.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I would bet money that its not rust, more like burned on mud. It does look just like rust though, until you take the pressure washer to it and scrub the burned on mud off.
I also have the sparks pipe.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
those pipes (and many others) are made by www.thepowerpros.com . the ceramic will always rust through even if it comes from rusting through from the inside. remember even if the outside is coated the inside is subjected to a far more corrosive atmosphere.....................mixxer

·
Registered
3 Posts
:huh: ceramic is not metal, so there for it can not rust. have any of you ever seen a rusty flower pot? they are made of ceramic. now if the ceramic coating gets cracked or chips yes it then can rust because water and oxygen will be able to get down to the metal underneath and start to show rust. now rust is not really a bad thing anyway because what it is, is a protective coating that the metal forms, ie to protect itself. your probably is most likely burnt on mud. so just do a little scrubbing on it and it should be ok. oh and how i know about ceramic i am in college right now and for my major i am taking a materials class and ceramic and metals are all materials in manufactruing. :D

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Id still look at the HMF...... :D

Thats just me.....

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Originally posted by mixxer@Sep 13 2004, 06:49 AM
those pipes (and many others) are made by www.thepowerpros.com .  the ceramic will always rust through even if it comes from rusting through from the inside.  remember even if the outside is coated the inside is subjected to a far more corrosive atmosphere.....................mixxer
this guy is right. :D

chris450r you make it sound as though metal makes a concious effort to defend itself with surface oxidation and in fact it does not. there are types of surface oxidation such as gun blueing that effectively slows oxidation after forming a sacrificial oxidated outer layer. regular rust actually accelarates the process by allowing water to have some"tooth" to cling to as well as the stratified flaking that makes for fresh surface area contiuously being exposed for attack.

i've never seen a flower pot rust but i've never seen a car stop deteriorating after it "defended" itself with a rust coating either..........mixxer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts