Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to run my bike with the new Spark Cam installed. MAN what a difference. This thing makes soo much power now!! I love it!! it really really makes the bike feel strong, it pulls right to the rev limiter and beyond!!!I am very impressed with the power it makes now with the Sparks cam!! The power increase was from the very bottom to the very top. The only jetting change i made was turn out my air screw 1/2 a turn more.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Sweet! Mine should show up by wednesday or thursday. Did you have to change the shims to get proper valve clearance? I can't wiat

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I spoke to Sparks on the phone, they told me that 50% of the quads they worked on did not need the shims to be changed, and the other 50% did. I measured my shims before to out the cam, and wrote down all my measurements, and then i measured after the new cam, and I was lucky enough to have the exact same clearances before and after.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by joe1l@May 10 2004, 08:05 AM
When I spoke to Sparks on the phone, they told me that 50% of the quads they worked on did not need the shims to be changed, and the other 50% did.  I measured my shims before to out the cam, and wrote down all my measurements, and then i measured after the new cam, and I was lucky enough to have the exact same clearances before and after.
I told you :D :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
people are saying their is a big differnce between the hrc and the sparks cam and the sparks cams alot better

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by kingofdunes@May 10 2004, 09:48 PM
i got the hrc cam i wonder how much of a difference it is between sparks and hrc?
Sparks has alot more low end then the HRC. however the top is about the same...maybe slightly better with the Sparks....

Sparks is better all around..low end and high end....but is alot better on low end.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Can somebody find the specs on each of these cams. I think everybody's opinion is gonna be diffrent, ya know seat of the pants feel. so i would like to find some rock solid specs. We cant have company bashing. On the flip side of that, If you come across some parts that are bad and you can get some good to know info out to the public, please do so. I dont want to hear what happened to your brothers, sisters, boyfreinds, mothers, sons, dads quad. No through the grape fine info. Its not good for anybody.

thanks

schmitty

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sparks has alot more low end then the HRC. however the top is about the same...maybe slightly better with the Sparks....

Sparks is better all around..low end and high end....but is alot better on low end.[/b]
The Sparks cam gives an even 4 hp over stock throughtout the RPM Range, this information came from sparks. Where as the HRC cam increases the the top end Horsepower by 5 hp but only from 6000 rpm. The HRC Cam will give you a sight advantage over the top end of the sparks CAM.

This is the info that I have gathered during my research. I have had actually seen a dyno graph of the HRC cam and it supports the +5hp in top end. If i find it again, I will send a link to it. As far as the sparks power gains, I can honestly say that the power increase is throught the rpm range, and it is very noticeable, much like the addition of an aftermarket pipe.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
What did you to leave for the valve clearence. I have been told 6to8 thousandths for the intake and 10to12 thousandths for the exhaust. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,

I keep asking and no seems to be able to supply yet some have the sparks cam! What are the tch spec for the cam like lobe, duration, degrees, raise,etc for the intake and exhaust?

Let me know.

Thanks, Fly

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want the tech specs, you probably will have to ask sparks, but I can't see them just giving that info away, otherwise some could copy it.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by joe1l@May 19 2004, 10:01 AM
If you want the tech specs, you probably will have to ask sparks, but I can't see them just giving that info away, otherwise some could copy it.
I already asked them...they did not give me any specs....my guess is they dont know them...You would have to talk to Curtis himself i guess, no one else there seems to know anything.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Not giving cam spec out is a bunch of crap -- it smells more like someone who isn't very confident about their claims & trying to hide something - maybe someone riding more on their name than their performance and hiding the real specs from the layman --- or probably most likely, someone buying their cams elsewhere, repackaging them, reselling them for more money & not wanting the layman to compare for fear their secret would be discovered.

Anyone who has ever even thought of grinding cams would make quick work of measuring one and copying it with or without specs if they wanted to - so that's not the issue.

Who would ever buy an automotive camshaft without knowing the specs????
Even the thought is ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
The 04 crf cam is the same as the 02 crf cam. Sparks probably feels like if someone wants to steal his cam specs that will at least have to buy one from him to get the measurements. At least he makes some money off of it then.

You are right desert, people don't take into consideration the engine design, cam design or header pipe design. I see people mixing and matching bottom end cams with top end pipes and all that, and it doesn't make since why people do that because they're not taking advantage of the design by doing that. Also I've seen people who get there head ported and polished for top end and the put a low end pipe on! What a waste of money! Lol

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
The 02 crf is supposed to be more of a bottom end cam and the 03 more of a top end cam. From my experence with the 02 cam it made no noticable difference over the stock cam, I gave it a shot because people were saying good things about it. Then I realized they where adding a pipe and the crf carb at the same time so how would the know if the cam made a difference or not. They don't. Like we said earlier, it all goes back to engine design. The crf cams fit in the trx but were not designed for it, I'm sure if a guy was to do some major head work the crf cam would probably be pretty good.

I don't think sparks rushed these parts out for the 450r, they were building stuff for the R 2 months before anyone else as far as engine stuff goes. The agressive cam is what tim farr uses during mx races and the "full race" is what he uses for tt racing. According to sparks the full race has a lot of top end which is good for drag racing and tt, but doesn't have much bottom end.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
did you see Tony's long post about the cams?

namely hotcams? ... He stated that the cams are reguler old CRF cams and that due to the TRX head design, the cams actually made better overall power mid and low ... I think he said magnified the results in the crf ...[/b]
He works at Hot Cams, so keep that in mind. I have followed many of his post at many sites. Hot Cams are good, but they are not the best thing in th world for everyone, as he would have you believe. I have had a few issues with various Hot Cams in different bikes I have owned. Nothing even major, but to hear Ticeman say it, Hot Cams can walk on water. I would buy another if I like the specs. I just do not like them for the TRX. As far as I now, they are just using the same cams they developed for the CRF.
I had a Hot Cam in my 426ex, and I have two of them in my Z400. They work great.
I have a HRC in my 450R. After having all the problems I have had with motors in my ex (bad builder) I like having HRC parts in my stuff. I feel very comfortable with that, and I have not been beat by any other 450R, so I am happy.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
The 02 crf is supposed to be more of a bottom end cam and the 03 more of a top end cam. From my experence with the 02 cam it made no noticable difference over the stock cam, I gave it a shot because people were saying good things about it. Then I realized they where adding a pipe and the crf carb at the same time so how would the know if the cam made a difference or not. They don't. Like we said earlier, it all goes back to engine design. The crf cams fit in the trx but were not designed for it, I'm sure if a guy was to do some major head work the crf cam would probably be pretty good.

did you see Tony's long post about the cams?

namely hotcams? ... He stated that the cams are reguler old CRF cams and that due to the TRX head design, the cams actually made better overall power mid and low ... I think he said magnified the results in the crf ...

check out his post and tell me where and if you disagree based on your experience ... I
Yes Desert I have seen that post. I pulled the following statement from it which sums up how I felt from my experence with the CRF cam.
The stock CRF450R cam works a little better than the TRX cam does, but doesn't provide enough of a difference for the cost. In my case I felt no noticable seat-of-the-pants difference. The specs on the crf cams and the hotcams ARE NOT IDENTICAL so that leads me to believe that they are not "regular old crf cams".
So the 04 if the same as the 02, this would mean it's "less" aggressive as I read it right? No it just means it has a little better bottom end thats all. The higher the intake lift and duration the better the top end. The hotcams where purpose built for the trx and should outperform the crf cams easily because thats what they're built for.
:)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
What do you think about the HRC cam in my app with the CHM pipe that concetrates on linear gain with emphasis on bottom to mid ?

It probably won't do anything to the bottom at all, but will increase the mid and top by 2 to 3 hp IMO.[/b]
Ok I'm clear on all but one thing ... What you said here ... I thought the current hotcams were just CRF cams?

No, before hotcams did any R+D they were supposedly selling the 02 and 03 CRF cams as stage 1 and 2.

02 crf cam:

int lift: .380 dur: 240 lobe cntr: 106.5

03 crf cam:

int lift: .380 dur: 249 lobe cntr: 109

Hotcams stg 1

int lift: .378 dur: 237 lobe cntr: ?

Hotcams stg 2

int lift: .398 dur: 248 lobe cntr ?

I have no idea where the exhaust #'s have gone. I will find them

ok here are the crfs
02 crf cam

exhaust lift= .356, duration= 272 degree, lobe center= 107 degree

03 crf cam

exhaust lift= .336, duration= 262 degree, lobe center= 109 degree

and the hotcams
Stage 1 specs
· Exhaust - 8.7mm. Lift / 268° Duration.

Hotcam stage 2 specs

· Exhaust - 8.7mm. Lift / 268° Duration

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Thats just too much info for me...
.. give me a WEB CAM and lets call it a day........ :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts