Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Not at all, that is just to stop you from lighting the forest on fire

Honestly though, it will not be a consideration for me when getting a new pipe even though I ride almost all trails in the forest, those damn tree huggers almost make me hope I will start a fire :lol:

·
Registered
733 Posts
wouldn't this modification cause the R to run a little lean with stock jetting? just food for thought. it is similar to adding a slip-on. i'm pretty sure that little spark arrester causes a lot of back pressure. if you look on ebay, someone is actually selling a larger diameter spark arrester and end cap with jetting included. just trying to help... i would check into this more thoroughly before running your R too long w/o the proper jetting.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
You are right RedDogg, it will lean out the jetting a little bit, but I just figured he already knew that. Good point to bring up, make sure you don't run it like that too much without rejetting Martin!

·
Registered
52 Posts
mine was extremely lean when i picked it up cause i pulled the plug adn it was white. i brought it back and the moved the needle one lcip or some poop and adjusted the screw 1 1/2 turns out. when i got it back i pulled the spark arrestor out. do you think i am too lean still???

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Wayne64SS@Jul 5 2004, 10:06 PM
mine was extremely lean when i picked it up cause i pulled the plug adn it was white. i brought it back and the moved the needle one lcip or some poop and adjusted the screw 1 1/2 turns out. when i got it back i pulled the spark arrestor out. do you think i am too lean still???
the fuel screw is 1.5 out at stock position.....if you turn it further out you richen it up, if you turn it further in you lean it out...but you dont want it to be in any more then 1.5....or at least I wouldnt.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by Wayne64SS@Jul 5 2004, 10:06 PM
please tell me if i'm just plain wrong, but i don't believe that the mixture screw will help you when you are anywhere past 1/4 throttle. you shouldn't, or at least i wouldn't, adjust the mixture screw to compensate for a lean or rich running problem. i would just change the jetting. in my opinion, it is the right way to adjust your mixture and leave the screw at the factory 1.5 turns out setting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ONLY ADJUSTED THE MIXTURE SCREW TO FIX THE STALLING AT IDLE PROBLEM. AFTER IT IDLED FOR LIKE 1 MINUTE IT WOULD DIE IF I HIT THE GAS A LIL BIT. WENT 1/2 TO 3/4 TURN OUT AND PROBLEM SOLVED. RUNS LIKE A TOP.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by Wayne64SS@Jul 6 2004, 11:04 AM
I ONLY ADJUSTED THE MIXTURE SCREW TO FIX THE STALLING AT IDLE PROBLEM. AFTER IT IDLED FOR LIKE 1 MINUTE IT WOULD DIE IF I HIT THE GAS A LIL BIT. WENT 1/2 TO 3/4 TURN OUT AND PROBLEM SOLVED. RUNS LIKE A TOP.
huh... mine still does that too until i let it warm up for five or more minutes. then it runs smooth off of idle consistently.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i took out my spark arrestor and the noticable difference was sound, it was louder. No change in performance at least i didnt think so.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am by no means a treehugger, but, I think unless you are on a private trail you should consider running a S/A. All it does is give them a**hole beauricrats who hate us more ammunition to close down trails. I would like to see the raw horespower numbers for a pipe with and without a S/A on. I don't think it makes as much power as many people think.

Just my worthless 2 cents.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by Outlwd@Jul 6 2004, 06:11 PM
I am by no means a treehugger, but, I think unless you are on a private trail you should consider running a S/A. All it does is give them a**hole beauricrats who hate us more ammunition to close down trails. I would like to see the raw horespower numbers for a pipe with and without a S/A on. I don't think it makes as much power as many people think.

Just my worthless 2 cents.
2 cents is 2 cents, and here's mine:

I agree with you, except for dune riding. In Glamis or Pismo Beach, there's nothing to burn. Although spark arrestors are required in those places, I don't have any problem with someone not running one there.

Having said that, I always run mine, because the difference in not running it isn't worth the time to remove it. However, if I were to race, obviously every HP is important and I'd remove it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2008, and I have removed the spark arrestor, and I am running it with a 2004 HRC Lid. To make mine run properly, I had to get a HRC needle and move it to the second clip from the bottom, it has a 172 main jet, I think a 55 pilot and a 42 leak jet, the thing runs great with mix race/pump gas.
Like the other guys have said though, just removing the s/a will make it serverely lean, and could cause your bike to run real hott, and could mess up your valves.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a 2008, and I have removed the spark arrestor, and I am running it with a 2004 HRC Lid. To make mine run properly, I had to get a HRC needle and move it to the second clip from the bottom, it has a 172 main jet, I think a 55 pilot and a 42 leak jet, the thing runs great with mix race/pump gas.
Like the other guys have said though, just removing the s/a will make it serverely lean, and could cause your bike to run real hott, and could mess up your valves.[/b]
I bought a used 05 and the guy took off the whole end cap + S/A and did not rejet it. It's still running great but following what you said i think i will replace the spark plug before installing my hmf slipon, hrc jet kit and uni filter. I might have been running lean for all that time without me noticing...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts