Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone please tell me if this billet ring/plenum will work with a uni or sparks filter? it came with a k&n proflo but looks like what sparks is trying to sell me for their foam filter. do i need something special to keep the foam filters from collapsing when opening the throttle? i want to order a sparks in the morning but don't want to waste money on another ring.
thanks!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
woodward PMed and said they look the same. i trust him as he's probably seen as many plenums as a gynecologist has seen...

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Looks like it will be fine, looks just like the sparks one.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
How is that Tom? They look identical.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Schmitthead@Jun 22 2004, 04:38 AM
it wont work with an uni. its diffrent
now i'm all confused again. :( i'm going to order the sparks and post the results when i get it in.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by lukester720@Jun 22 2004, 05:02 AM
How is that Tom? They look identical.
Im with luke, they look identical....I think it would work fine.... :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by BingeNut@Jun 22 2004, 08:02 AM
I am using the UNI on my stock box, no aluminum rings or anything, is there something wrong with this?
i'm not sure of course, but i think the billet plenum supports the boot when you tighten the band around it. otherwise, your boot could just fold or crush leaving a gap and let dirt in. unless you are placing the stock "body" (silver heavy metal thing with tiny restrictive holes) inside your uni. i would definitely invest in something to support the boot.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I used a UNI filter on my 450R and the little brace in the back. So it stays on to push the filter towards the front and it works just fine. Of course I use a longer filter than stock so the little brace puts a mark on the filter. But, it does not harm it in any way. :D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I will post a pic, but the billet ring on my inserts into the filter and the box. that does not look like mine at all.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Schmitthead@Jun 23 2004, 08:59 PM
I will post a pic, but the billet ring on my inserts into the filter and the box. that does not look like mine at all.
i think i saw one like that in a picture of a pro design kit with two piece foam filter. you know the one i mean? can't wait to see your pic. sparks told me that mine sounds like the theirs. have you seen the one that they sell?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by BingeNut@Jun 25 2004, 07:06 AM
If I get one of these inserts, do I need to stop running the cage inside the filter, it just fits in my stock box now.
yes... if you are talking about the metal piece with all the little holes in it that the service manual refers to as the "body" (pg 4-5). this billet ring/plenum takes it's place and supports the boot when tightening the clamp. sparks told me that their foam filters do not need any device to support the foam. they said that even the vacuum created at wide-open throttle is not enough to collapse the filter, but i would not recommend using the billet ring with a stock filter element. 1. that will leave the hole in the back end open and 2. the stock element might collapse. IMO

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey schmitty, when can we see that pic? i'm curious.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Schmitthead@Jun 25 2004, 07:27 AM
i will get it today
.................... just being a smart ars. :D

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I will tell you, that ring looks identical to the one I got from sparks. There is now reason why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by lukester720@Jun 26 2004, 11:51 PM
I will tell you, that ring looks identical to the one I got from sparks. There is now reason why it wouldn't work.
It looks exactly like the one I got from Sparks also. Yes it would work on a UNI.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The ring on my uni clearly looks diffrent from the origanal picture posted. The uni filter slides on to the billet ring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts