Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a couple things about my 450r like that it needs an engine rebuild frequently & that it needed to have its valves adjusted after break in. What does this mean for the average trail rider if you have to rebuild your engine all the time...also, I thought the valves were a new style that dont need to be adjusted?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
im pretty sure ur valves need ajustments after break in. all 4 strokes do. but for the rebuilding more than a redular bike i am not sure of. my friend went to a yamaka dealer and these guys had to fix his brand new banshee(was running on one cylinder) and he said he was sick of the thing already and the mechanic told him that the 450s r having rebuilds after every race but this same yamaha dealer also sold my other friend who is selling his banshee cus he cant stand it and wants nuthing to do with yamaha got sold a rode bike chain for his banshee. same dealer again sold my friend a z400 and was like( look there are nipples still on the tires this bike was barely used.) my point is the dealership is full of idiots that dont know what they r doing or what an atv is so dont listen to a dealer about stuff. the rebuild matters on if u dont take care of ur bike then ur motor wont last that long and u will need a rebuild. now im not sure on this but i think i am right

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i take care & just ride throug hthe trails & stuff so im not really hard on it like racers would be...i just dont want to have this thing sitting in shops all the time :(

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i dont think it will be sitting in shops u baught a honda. but it is built for competition so it might be in shops alittle more than others but not alot. hondas will run forever and i think you will be fine and not have to bring it to the dealer all the time. my friend has a 1985 3 wheeler and will start that thing up everyday and beat the crap out of it. he cleans the filter with an air gun and changes the oil maybe like 4 or less in one year. he doesnt even warm it up once it starts he goes.
you baught a very good quality machine and it will run forever

·
Registered
497 Posts
From my understanding the valves should be checked after breakin to make sure they are within the correct clearance range. If they are fine then, then they should be fine for a long time. These use shims so they do not need to be adjusted as much as normal 4 strokes. I checked my valves after owning the bike 1 month and they were spot on. To be honest I really wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im taking the bike tuesday to a loclam mechanic who has his own little shop & im going to have him look my bike over & listen to it to see if everything is going good..i just really want this thing to last which is why I ALWAYS buy honda. are the valve clearances the same on the trx450r as the crf450r b/c I think hes going to adjust the valves according to that manual & stuff...is this engine alot different then the crf450r since they put it into the quad they may have changed some stuff or something.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The owners manual that came with your TRX will give you the correct valve clearances. Your mechanic will need a shim kit to adjust it if any.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by joe1l@Jul 8 2004, 12:18 PM
The owners manual that came with your TRX will give you the correct valve clearances.  Your mechanic will need a shim kit to adjust it if any.
am i wasting my time & money taking it to him to look at you think? are the valves prob. fine?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
the valves r probably fine

and the trx motor is alot different than the crf

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by trx450Rrider@Jul 8 2004, 01:18 PM
the valves r probably fine

and the trx motor is alot different than the crf
isnt the CRF motor the one that goes through piston rings all the time & then honda fixed that with the trx450r & detuned it to make it more dependable?

·
Registered
933 Posts
the crf has a short skirt piston with 1 ring, the trx 450r has a longer skirt and has 3 rings. the problem with the crf is that the piston can turn sideways in the bore when it gets worn out. honda wants to be sure that people are keeping good pistons in there bikes by suggesting you rebuild the engine often, our trx's only need a rebuild when the compression gets low.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good news freeride....do you think a trx450r will lose compression before 300 hours during just some normal trail riding & nothing severe?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Jul 8 2004, 01:14 PM
well im taking the bike tuesday to a loclam mechanic who has his own little shop & im going to have him look my bike over & listen to it to see if everything is going good..i just really want this thing to last which is why I ALWAYS buy honda. are the valve clearances the same on the trx450r as the crf450r b/c I think hes going to adjust the valves according to that manual & stuff...is this engine alot different then the crf450r since they put it into the quad they may have changed some stuff or something.
the valve clearence specifications are on a sticker on the front frame of your bike. Right behind the front bumper, if you are looking at it from the front.....you dont have to look at the maneul for that. B)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just rode the thing & there is a ticking noise there...may have come after I changed my coolant to engine ice? is this a possibility that I did something wrong with the coolant to make it have a little ticking?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Jul 8 2004, 10:20 PM
i just rode the thing & there is a ticking noise there...may have come after I changed my coolant to engine ice? is this a possibility that I did something wrong with the coolant to make it have a little ticking?
dont sound possible to me....ticking is oil related...not water.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by TRX450rlude+Jul 8 2004, 09:30 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jumbo747
@Jul 8 2004, 10:20 PM
dont sound possible to me....ticking is oil related...not water. [/b]
could it be because of the synthetic oil im using? like maybe i switched too soon or something to synthetic..? i went through 3 oil changes & like 6 tanks of gas

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
dude its fine dont worry my brotha from anotha motha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts