Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought the sidewinder kit? Which is the front and back sprockets with the chain! It suppose to lighten your bike by over two pounds and give you horse power gains! What do you know? B)

Mess up with the price it's $299 for the kit!!! B)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
that crap is not worth the money....it is WAY to expensive for your little 2 lbs. gain when you could have bought renthal sprockets front & back for $100 then a new renthal oring chain for $80 and have that last just as long or longer...stay away from sidewinder unless you can get the kit for less then $200 new.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I just destroyed a 13 t tool steel sprocket (took 10 t off like it was PlayDoe) but i know that if i had anything else that it would have honestly been playdoe.... i just dont know how it happend ... you cant even scratch tool steel or drill it or put a dent in it with a 13lb sledge hammer....???? :huh:

I love the stuff but i dont see it given you 3-4 hp..... it does save on rotating mass which will give you more "snappyness" ( was that a word :D ) and should give you more HP ... but i didnt notice a diff. in power....

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This kit I'm talking about is in fact the ti-moly which is made out of Titanium! B)
Thanks Killer, good to know! :D

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Ti - Moly is Titanium and Chromoly mix.....

SUPER STRONG......

·
Registered
391 Posts
I do believe in the sprockets for sure but don't know about the chain. I had some stretching with my chain that was installed on my Raptor but vertually NO wear on the sprockets. I've had them installed for about 2yrs now and I'm satisfied with the sprockets more so than the chain. I DON'T see that you will see a 2-4HP gain with this set up thow. There's not enough weight savings to see that type HP gains. Just my 02 :D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No HP will be gained with a sprocket-chain kit, torque yes- HP no. I do believe in the sidewinder kits though they are worth their weight in gold, but not for performance gain but longevity gains.

peace

schmitty

·
Registered
18 Posts
1LB OF ROTATING MASS = 4LB OF STATIONARY MASS
4LB OF STATIONARY MASS = 1 HORSE POWER
SO 1LB OF ROTATING MASS ADDS 1 HP TO THE GROUND.

THIS IS THE WHOLE THERORY FOR REDUCING WEIGHT. THATS WHY A LOT OF RACERS GO TO EXTREMES TO REDUCE JUST A FEW POUNDS. I DO THINK ALTHOUGH THERE IS A SACRIFICE OF NOT ONLY MONEY BUT SOMETIMES STRENGTH AND DURABILITY. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THOSE SPROCKETS ARENT STRONG AND DURABLE, THEY ARE PROBABLY SOME OF THE BEST. I THINK IF YOUR LOOKING FOR QUICK HP TAKE A LOOK AT GETTING LIGHTER BACK TIRES. IF YOUR LOOKING TO SQUEEZE ALL THE PONIES OUT GET THE SIDEWINDER KIT.
YOU HAVE TO FIRST DECIDE TO WHAT EXTREME YOU ARE WILLING TO GO.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
A little less expensive option would be to go with Ironman sprockets front and rear, and a DID X ring chain. They will last you forever, they are light, and they are reasonably priced especially compared to the Sidewinder set.

Des, if you want 55 HP, I will get you in touch with a guy that can get you to close to 60 with the stock bore and piston. He does major head work, and is a very nice guy. We talked about him when we met, but if you are serious I can get you in touch with him.

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
So if I lose 40 pounds I'll gain 10 HP ? --- Man what the hell am I doing spending all this time with cams and exhaust and wasting money, when my 192 pound butt could quit buying cheeseburgers & wings and gain HP for free !

Man I'm on a mission now ... I want a 55 HP TRX ![/b]
No your missing the point dude. If you have a machine that produces 42hp you will lose some at the ground due to factors such as the weight of the machine, the rider, tires...ect. We have all heard of weight to power ratios, this is the reason you want a light machine it helps get the power to the ground. Im not saying you can simply lose weight and gain hp, you are limited by what the motor puts out "duh". Im sure all of you have seen racers that are women, and to some extent they have an advantage. The machine dosent have to hall a 192 lb butt around, its a smaller 95 to 100 lb butt. This is true in the arena of alchohol drag race cars as well, there is a movement to disallow women from racing against men due to the fact they weigh so much less.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know, adding stickers to your bike will add about 5hp's :lol:
My bike is covered in them and boy is it fast!!!!!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Thats what i say ... NoBody beleives me until i pass them...... :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts