Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got real dilema here. I have had nohting but fun on the R, but am now faced with lack of some creature comforts. I have a guy who wants to trade his 06 Raptor for my 05 450R. The mods to mine are in my sig. and are not near what alot have you done, but do add up in the $$ category. I just got back from a week in Winchester Bay and the R ran flawlessly easily keeping up the 6 Raptor 660's I was riding with and the 1 YFZ. My issues are I am not a small guy weighing in at 230, I would love electric start, and reverse would be the cats meow. I live in the northwest where trails are tight and dead ends are common, reverse is very handy here. The Raptor has nothing really done to it beside YFZ front shocks. You can see pics of it here: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/760949762.html

Any way, honestly I am looking for some advice and am struggling with which way to go. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK, I got real dilema here. I have had nohting but fun on the R, but am now faced with lack of some creature comforts. I have a guy who wants to trade his 06 Raptor for my 05 450R. The mods to mine are in my sig. and are not near what alot have you done, but do add up in the $$ category. I just got back from a week in Winchester Bay and the R ran flawlessly easily keeping up the 6 Raptor 660's I was riding with and the 1 YFZ. My issues are I am not a small guy weighing in at 230, I would love electric start, and reverse would be the cats meow. I live in the northwest where trails are tight and dead ends are common, reverse is very handy here. The Raptor has nothing really done to it beside YFZ front shocks. You can see pics of it here: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/760949762.html

Any way, honestly I am looking for some advice and am struggling with which way to go. Let me know what you think.[/b]
If you want a quad that is more trail riding oriented, I don't think you will be disappointed with the rappy. You will love the reverse, lower gearing, added clearance, torque, etc. You will miss the handling of the R and also the feeling of zippy, whip you back speed. The rappy will feel much top heavier in turns and has a lil more of a utility feel.

Money wise.... probably a fair deal.

If it were me... I would miss out of everything else riding RED the most!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Solid Gold DASA500R!
4,924 Posts
i wouldn't! hondas are much more fun ride. the 450's are like driving a sports car while the rappy is a like driving a cadilac.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wouldn't! hondas are much more fun ride. the 450's are like driving a sports car while the rappy is a like driving a cadilac.[/b]
I guess in aperfect world I would have both! Maybe one day, just not today dam it. I know what you mean about the caddy-v-sports car. I let my bro ride the R after his Rappy and his YFZ. He said it handles way better than both grant it they are stock. But the Rappy was more comfortable for all day. I hopped on his YFZ and wore out after 15 min. while I rode the R all day with little fatigue except the thumb throttle.

Is it possible to get a Raptor to handle even somewhat like a 450 with widening, lowering, etc.? I've rode several 660's but no 700's and never ridden one widened or setup other than stock.

Thanks guys for the feedback, it is much appreciated! I hope more will chime in with their thoughts and experience.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Only rappy I would ever consider would be the 700 with fuel injection and the yfz shocks, maybe a 08 special edition or 09...BUT I would NEVER trade my honda for a rapturd not even with my quad in its broken stages,...now I would trade my predaturd..lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have both an 06 700R with some mods and an 07 450ER which is still stock. All the Honda does it sit for the most part because I enjoy riding the Rappy at the dunes so much more than the 450ER and that's the only riding I do anymore. Don't get me wrong I like my 450 but if I had to choose one or the other....the 450 would get the for sale sign, I think the rappy is a lot more fun in the sand and can make real good power on the cheap and still be dead reliable.

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Well, if you're already thinking in your mind that the creature comforts would be nice, and the fact that it sounds like you don't do any competitive mx racing, I'd say go for the trade! But, after looking at the mods on your 450r compared to the Raptor, around these parts (midwest), I'd think your R is still probably worth slightly more than the Raptor.

So, I would possibly ask him to kick in a couple hundred bucks, or, if he doesn't know exactly what all you have done to yours yet, I would possibly remove some of your mods to equal up the value (swapping the dynatek cdi out, back to the oem comes to mind) and then trade even up. But that's your call, you would be the one to better know the values of each quad in their current mod state.

BTW- This opinion comes from someone fortunate enough to own both a Raptor 700 and a 450R, but if I ever have to choose, I will admit I'd probably keep the Raptor for the "all around" better sports quad, imo. This is because I'm now in my mid 30's, not old per se, but getting old enough that electric start and reverse start to become pretty nice features, and the fact that the only "racing" I do is in a straight line, which the Raptor has shown to be very competitive with the lighter 450 based machines. :thumbsup:

As far as your question on the handling, yes you can get them to handle much better with little money invested. It sounds like the owner of the Raptor has taken the first step by installing the yfz shocks, which lowers the front end of the Raptors slightly. You can also lower the rear 2-3" easily, just by flipping the shock link over (free mod). At that point, the Raptor's sit damn near as low as the 450 machines, although you're still dealing with a 50lb disadvantage, but handling is greatly improved.

Hope that helps alittle. Good luck in your decision!

Later- Kris

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
ive ridden a few raptors. i like the power but thats it.

too tall and too heavy. gotta use more body english to have it do what you want.

the honda is just a simple good looking bike thats easy to have fun on and easy to work on if you have the $$$ for the parts.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If your bike was stock, I'd say go for it for sure, but you have quite a bit of $$$ invested in aftermarket parts. Your bike should smoke that stock 700 as it is, but every person is different in what floats their boat. Go with your gut feeling, it isn't that bad of a deal if you do make the swap. Me personally, I'd pass.

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
If you actually ride the NW trails your raptor wont even compare to a 450. Now if you just dune I would say go get a raptor because I am not far behind you on that. My last ride in the hills I had three rappy guys all want to ride my bike 04 480 over theres. And two of them want me to build them one.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
IMHO if your wanting a more trail sand friendly machine, i would sell the 450r and get a 700XX

but no way i would get a rapturd HONDA is where my loyalty stands

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I know where you are coming from. I was there less than a month ago.
I had many hours and $$$ into polishing, PCing, building, tuning etc into my R. It was by far the funnest quad I have ever had. So getting rid of it was not an easy choice for me. In fact I still have it miuns the go fast engine that is IMO unreliable after a certain build point and all of the assoc. parts to accompany the fast engine.
I picked up an 08 Se 700 and the bottom line is stock for stock the Raptor is a much better all around machine. Build dollar vs build dollar youll be way ahead on the 700.
As for handling, IDk but my Raptor doesnt feel top heavy like some say. It is a little taller in the seat but doesnt feel heavy. I can rail it and slide just like I could on my 450, it Jumps andf lands way better than any 450 Ive ridden witrh stock shocks.

The 450s have their high points....lighter weight and rpms. Other than that its all really personal preference.
If you want to ever have a lot of HP for the sand than the 700 is it. If you want elctric start and reverse the Raptor is it. IDK if the 06 would be my choice just because I ahve read about trans issues and other little things but the Honda also has issues...crank bearings, right side outter case breaking by kick start etc.

Either way youll be spending money to get either of them to where you are truely happy. Otherwise you wouldnt frequent forums and mod your machine.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've ridden this one of my buddies that is eating my dust. It had a trinity pipe, programmer, trinity intake, kibblewhite springs, bored to a 727, +3 swinger, Venom 14-1 piston, and I could still smoke him with my 480. He finally caught up with me though, he added a dyna ignition, changed his gearing up a bit, and got some 22x11x8 paddles (Ditched the 20x10x10's) But, with all that is done to both bikes, I would take the Honda over the Yammi anyday. The only thing I can say for the Yammi, is that it does ride pretty good in the stock form, and I think this is due to the weight of the machine. If this is a freind of yours, swap bikes and you both can decide. We swap bikes all the time when we are at the dunes.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Im a trail rider. I live in the Pacific Northwest and ride mostly trails. Yeah, tight trails. No reverse sucks sometimes. Especially as the altitude gets higher and the air is thinner. Of course if I cant cut a donut I turn around by pulling off the trail onto the embankment on the side of the trail and using that for reverse. But, some times thats not an option either and its manual reverse. I've never ridden a Raptor so I cant comment on them, but really feel if I were to give up my 450 for reverse I would go for the 400EX. Ive ridden those and know its a good woods/trails bike and can be modded for more power. Anyway, I like my 450. Im keeping mine. I got used to no reverse a long time ago but I can def relate to someone wanting it. Especially up here in the NW.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if it was a 700 hundred i might consider it if i were in your shoes but not for a 660. But it shoun ds like this bike is what you want reverseand e start. Ask for some money with it or take some of the after market stuff and sell it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i like my raptor 700 i've sat on a few 450s and they're just not for me... too small for my likings i guess... to each their own though.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
i like my raptor 700 i've sat on a few 450s and they're just not for me... too small for my likings i guess... to each their own though.[/b]
my dad has a 660 and every time he sat on my bike he hated it so i made him take it out for a good ride and now his rapturd is up for sale. my bro and my dad both want a trx now ......my mom wants a yfz... :slap:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
My friend has a 700r, there very comfortable and very fast. That sums it all up. But they sit high and you really cant get too aggressive with them if you know what I mean, atleast not as much as you can with a 450r.

BUT.. If i had a 700r with like +2 or +3 LT A-arms with a wider axle..I think id be all over a 700r.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts