Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so i was wondering if i should get my son a TRX 450r as a starter quad i know there are other options close to a 450 such as a 400 ex but i was thinking if i did that it wouldnt be much time till he has to upgrade, cause hes turning 15 in january. So i was thinking either get him a TRX 450r or probably a CR 125, KX 125, YZ 125 any 125 2 stroke thats a main brand hes tall enough for a 125 But hes never ridden clutch before but he said he studdied it so he knows how to work a clutch and shifter and all that, he just doesnt have expierience.

Or another option is going with the TRX 250r or any 250 2 stroke. at least thats what im thinking right now, if you have another idea help me out.

Thanks.

·
Truck Yea
5,773 Posts
way to much bike for someone who doesnt know clutch. a nice 400ex is a way better idea. if you want a bike a crf250. i would not get someone know how to work a clutch a high strung 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
way to much bike for someone who doesnt know clutch. a nice 400ex is a way better idea. if you want a bike a crf250. i would not get someone know how to work a clutch a high strung 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
Not even if i leave it stock? i mean he knows not be stupid with it and gas the shit out of it. he just wants something that when he learns the clutch he would be able to keep for a while instead of getting a 400 than when he learns clutch he might want something bigger.

I also think a CRF 250r would be a bit too much as well.

·
Truck Yea
5,773 Posts
Not even if i leave it stock? i mean he knows not be stupid with it and gas the shit out of it. he just wants something that when he learns the clutch he would be able to keep for a while instead of getting a 400 than when he learns clutch he might want something bigger.

I also think a CRF 250r would be a bit too much as well.
For a person with little experience you can get in trouble very fast. Also the clutch requires work and is not forgiving for a beginner.

Like I said a nice 400ex would be a better choice. Plenty of power for most people.

You don’t go from a civic to a mustang unless you have the skills

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
14 Posts
I started out on a pretty hot 450er nothing wrong with it, would recommend a quad over a bike if he hasn’t done clutch work before. As long as he’s not riding the clutch i think he’ll be alright, and he’ll grow into more than likely. 250 two smoke would be way to much in my opinion. Maybe a 125, those are dec bikes with some room to grow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would say a 450 would be fine and the better option over a 400ex. Most say the 450 is to powerful but in all honesty the stock 450 is very tame and easily controllable even for a beginner. I mean my 06 trx450 was my first sport quad/bike ever and was a very easy learning curve for a beginner like myself. They have very manageable power and handling with a massive aftermarket for as he grows out of the stock motor and suspension.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey so i was wondering if i should get my son a TRX 450r as a starter quad i know there are other options close to a 450 such as a 400 ex but i was thinking if i did that it wouldnt be much time till he has to upgrade, cause hes turning 15 in january. So i was thinking either get him a TRX 450r or probably a CR 125, KX 125, YZ 125 any 125 2 stroke thats a main brand hes tall enough for a 125 But hes never ridden clutch before but he said he studdied it so he knows how to work a clutch and shifter and all that, he just doesnt have expierience.

Or another option is going with the TRX 250r or any 250 2 stroke. at least thats what im thinking right now, if you have another idea help me out.

Thanks.
I started on the 90 when I was around 12, then went to a 300ex @ 14 then 450r @ 20. If he's 15 maybe the 400ex would be good. 450r is great though!! lol just depends on his experience. If he's a good rider the 450r is a beast and he won't need an upgrade for a long time. 400ex is a great bike but he will outgrow it in time. IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts