Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through a few posts and figured I would just ask. I turned the stock shocks a full turn softer on compression and it rides a lot better. I am 5'7" 160lbs I assume the bike is setup for larger riders. Anyway with the short stock control arms is it a waste of money to upgrade the shocks? I may turn the preload down a little also. There is zero sag in the stock setup it is full ride height static. The rear has about 3-4 inches sag static setting no rider. I don't want a wider front end necessarily. Also I thought Works was the bargain shock to run. When did Elka get so popular? Thanks for the help! Has anyone put Elka's on stock arms and noticed a $$$ difference?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have diminsionaly stock a-arms on my 250r I put elka triple rates on it and am extremely happy with it. Most of the better quality aftermarket shocks will make a great improvement over the stockers. You don't have to go with other than stock arms to see improvement.

·
Registered
321 Posts
well first of all I{ will say that perf. shocks are definatly not a waste of time on stock arms. just about anything will be better then stock giving you a more custom ride that will be better for you. they will also be more ajustable for different types of riding. (i.e. slow fast, etc.) some qualitys of the aftermarket shocks will not tend to 'fade' as stock will, you will usually get about an ince or so more travel even with stock arms and you will also usually lover ride height wich will lower center o' gravity giving you loads of advantages on the track, trails and even the dunes.

for your other question: Elka became very popular because first of all they make a great product. second of all they make a wide variety of products for different people that ride on different surfaces if you will like trails, tracks, or rec. they are fairly affordable and are backed with great warrenty. they also have alot of features like remote resevoars (sp.) or piggy-back style shocks. and prolly most of all there are alot of good riders that ride Elka and a huge one that bout all of us know is Doug Gust. he is a very big part of Elka. he tests products for them. potential buyers can talk to him after events and press conferences to him and find out more about which product to get etc. they have a great advertising stuff going on that puts them in the mags, just lots of things that helps them stay on top of the shocks world. they even make product for dirtbikes.

Later Man

·
Registered
328 Posts
You should look into getting your shocks rebuilt by elka or another company to your specs. and they can put a zero preload spring stack on them as well. Could save you some $$

·
Registered
35 Posts
I RUN STOCK A-ARMS AND ELKA'S ON THE FRONT AND YES I DID NOTICE A VERY BIG DIFF....WELL WORTH THE MONEY.....I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND THEM
ZERO PRELOAD MAKES A WORLD OF DIFF......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by WhiteZee+Aug 10 2004, 05:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-GOTIS
@Aug 10 2004, 09:19 AM
I RUN STOCK A-ARMS AND ELKA'S ON THE FRONT AND YES I DID NOTICE A VERY BIG DIFF....WELL WORTH THE MONEY.....I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND THEM
- the caps lock,
[/b]
Sorry if I offended you, WHITEZEE, with the caps lock :huh:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by GOTIS+Aug 11 2004, 09:21 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 05:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GOTIS

- the caps lock,
Sorry if I offended you, WHITEZEE, with the caps lock :huh: [/b]
you offended me...

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Thanks for the info GOTIS.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747+Aug 11 2004, 12:03 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 05:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GOTIS

- the caps lock,

Sorry if I offended you, WHITEZEE, with the caps lock :huh:
you offended me...
[/b]
that's goin in my sig!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts