Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2009 450r last week. Had it out for a few short drives around my field and up and down the road. Yesterday I took it out everything was working great until I tried to shift from 1st to 2nd. It would only shift to neutral and back down to first. I shifted it from 1st to neutral a dozen times trying to shift to 2nd. Once I'm about to pull into my driveway it finally shift into 2nd and I took it down the road again with no problems. Had it out today with no problems until about 20 minutes into the ride it did the same thing. Any ideas? Would a bent shift fork cause this?

·
Truck Yea
5,677 Posts
Id start by checking and changing the oil. But yes, damaged transmission components can cause these sorts of issues

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,534 Posts
Is your clutch adjusted properly?? Usually when issues show up after getting to operating temp it’s because of not being adjusted properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id start by checking and changing the oil. But yes, damaged transmission components can cause these sorts of issues
The guy I bought it from changed it right in front of me before I bought it. Engine oil and trans oil looked good and clean 👍

·
Truck Yea
5,677 Posts
Then I’m with hoser. Sounds like misadjusted clutch or it’s worn out edit: stupid auto correct

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your clutch adjusted properly?? Usually when issues show up after getting to operating temp it’s because of not being adjusted properly.
I can try to adjust it a bit and see if it does any better, it engages when the clutch is about half way out. However it's the original 2009 clutch and it did sit for about a month or two before I bought it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the clutch was misadjusted. The jam nut for the cable came loose and has been gradually getting worse and worse. I'm new to quads but I've been a mechanic for cars and heavy equipment for 10 years so I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think to adjust it 😑 thanks for the help guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts