Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set, or attempted to set my timing on my 450R the other night. I had the hardest time getting the engine on top dead center. I put a 13.6/1 piston in, and I had a heck of a time kicking that thing over even with the spark plug out! To find top dead center I used a long metal rod and placed it down the spark plug tube, turned it as slowly as I could, and as soon as it go to the top it went very easily. and would jump right passed TDC. I did this about 20 Times, Argh!! So finally i got it Just a smidge past TDC, on the 29th try, so I compensated, By moving the cam 1 tooth forward and installing accordingly. Like when you line up the dots. it woudl be just a hare over the two dots. Will this be corect I dont know.

Does anyone have good tips on how to get TDC easier. Because I feel I may be a tooth off.

Excited to get everything together.

I got:

Hotcams Stage 2

PR2 porting and valve angle job

Wiseco 13.6/1 Piston

HMF Full system

FCR Carb.

I Hope its fast!!!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Exactly what desert said, but after removing the 10mm hex cap on the right side, it is an 8mm hex bolt to turn the crank. You can also take the 6mm hex cap from the left side of the motor out. It is verticle, not horizontal like the right side plug. There is a line on the fly wheel that you match up with on the threads of the cap on the motor. There is a "T" next to this line. This way you don't have to be on both sides of the motor at the same time to see if the cam marks are lining up. I believe there are 2 other marks on the fly wheel about ½" apart that are on the opposite side of where you want. If the dots are lined up on the right side plug hole, and the cam dots are lined up, then the plug hole line on the left side will match up too. Get a flash light.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I knew I was missing something. I will have to reset it to make sure its good to go.

Hey Desert 450R. what do you mean if the piston isnt a flat top? Its like most high compression pistons I have ever seen, It is domed up to fill in the empty space in the head. and the vavle area is cut away. How will a flat top, or the lack there of change the performance???

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats very interesting. CRF, TRX will be neat to see how it turns out. Its too late for me to change anything now hah. I will let everyone know how this setup works.

Keep us posted of any other piston setups out there yall.

I am running a Wiseco 13.6/1 : no ride test as of yet. still waiting on Walsh :wacko:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still had one heck of a time getting that dot to line up exatcly perefect. It always seemed impossible. I even used the 8mm allenn. But Im 99% sure its right now. I guess there will always be a little bit of "slop" from the time it goes from that gear to the crankshaft, to the timing chain to the Cam sprocket. I expected it to be perfectly aligned. But it was very very close....I tried a tooth both way from what I thought was correct, and it was Wayy off. So I took the on that best suited. It kicks over smoothly, no binding. Hah AKA: piston meeting Valves. Still waiting on walsh..Im tempted to start it up in the garage on the stand. But running the 110 Octane, with the house right above me leaves the house smelling for about a day..I like it But the rest of the family doesnt. !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts