Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the site and am glad to see there is one completly dedicated to the new 450. I am going to be riding mine primarily in the sand. I havent got my bike yet, probley monday or tuesday. I am planning on putting the hrc kit in it, and eventually exhaust and a k&N. What are some suggestions for the sand. Should I put it down to a 13 tooth, or keep it stock? Any suggestions? \

Thanks, Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
A little different perspectice from a 100% duner with a 450R:
I have tried about 6 different geraring combos. I did not taske in to account how fast it got me up the hill, or time anything, just what was the most rideable. 13 tooth is too low for me. I think it was "faster" up the hll, but everywhere else, I was shifting more. With my current combo I can run 3rd all day, almost. I ended up with a 14/39. I run a 7 paddle 20" hauler. Buy a 13 tooth front, and a 37 and 39 for the rear, try them all (its less than a $100 investment, what can you do on a quad for less than a $100?).
If you are a sand oly guy, or at least a non water riding guy, ESR has a cool airbox eliminator kit, or PM me and I can get you a bigger one for about $80 (including a big K&N and outerwares)
Dune sliders and Sand stars are nice for duarbility, but the perfpormance is not up to Haulers. Everyone thinks Haulers are for hill climbing only, false. I have settled on a 20" on a 10" rim with 7 paddles, and I can whip it better than any other tire ( I have tried them ALL). You will have that MX tire feeling, good response, no sidewall to fold over on you either (better cornering), and Haulers are SUPER light.

Where are you from?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im looking for good speed for drag racing up the bowl and doing hill climbs. I think im going to get haulers, my buddy had them on his 400ex and now his yzf. I had a set of the gecko's on my 400 and I hated them. Haulers seem to hook up the best for me. I was also thinking of taller haulers, they might do the trick.
I live in TIllamook oregon and do all of my sand riding at a place called sand lake.

Im not going to do any internal mods except the hrc kit, I want to keep it reliable. What are some recommendations on pipes. I want over all power through out the rpms, which is probley asking alot, since most pipes just add to top and bottom. Im a 20 year old making house payments and everything else so Im not looking at spending more than 300 dollars on a pipe. How much does the k&n cost? And do I need to get any kind of adapter?
I should be getting my bike tommorow or the next day and I kinda want to get all of the extra's added in the cost of the loan so I can get it all once, so any advise would be great. Thank you kevin

P.S. For anyone in the TIllamook ORegon area I am selling a LT500 (quadzilla) frame with a kawasaki DOHC 4 valve street bike engine. Its not done, still needs alot of work, but should go like a bat out of hell. I just lost interest in the project.
Im selling the entire thing for 500 bucks, so if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I run 20/10/10 8 paddle haulers on mine with the stock gearing and it seemed ideal. At the time I had just a sparks cam, jetkit, filter and HRC endcap. As for a pipe I'd try to find an extra $100 and from rockymountain atv get a full yoshi exhaust for $399.
Everyone here has their own opinions on what works best, and this is mine. Goodluck in finding yours. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Kevin

Hey I am from clackamas, or, and i ride sand lake alot and on my 450r i got the full LRD exhaust and I love it ....um i think it runs around 450$ but it is well worth it .. I was at dunefest last week and there were alot of diff 450r's and i raced two of them a couple of times each and they both were running the hrc cam and both had slip on exhaust's and i beat both of them everytime.... so i would look at buy a full exhaust before that cam it would be worth it....so when you get the cam you will already be set on the exhaust and that cam is gonna make that bike scream like no other....well good luck hope i helped you happy riding....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts