Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Onan model # 4KYFA26100 H

I started up the gen yesterday, just like i always do every 2 weeks. Turnrd on roof a/c to put load on gen, plus i needed to do some inside work on M/H. after about 45 min, gen shut off. checked fuel gauge 1st, almost 1/2 tank. checked c/b and fuses on a/c panel in m/h, all good. tried starting it again, it would start but as soon as I let go of start switch it would shut off. Went out side to look at gen. foound c/b on gen control panel was in off position. reset c/b and tried starting it at gen, same thing, it would start but as soon as you let go of start switch it would shutoff. put the c/b to off, gen starts right up and stays running when you let go of switch. as soon as you try and reset c/b it stalls. any ideas? if checked out some forums they say it could be voltage reg, but with no manual, i have no idea where it's at or how to check it out. thanks for any info i get.

i hook up to external power source from house. everything works that way. i do have a spare portable gen i take to dunes, so i'm not in a big rush to get it fixed. would just like to try and fix it myself instead of taking it to a shop and spending big $$$$

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What C/B? The main C/B? C/B "blow" for two reasons...... Short to ground and overload. By the sound of it you have a short to ground. Need more details. Will it run with the C/B off?

Also check the oil level..... if it has a oil level or pressure switch, it will turn off the gen. to try and save it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What C/B? The main C/B? C/B "blow" for two reasons...... Short to ground and overload. By the sound of it you have a short to ground. Need more details. Will it run with the C/B off?

Also check the oil level..... if it has a oil level or pressure switch, it will turn off the gen. to try and save it.[/b]
It's the c/b on the gen itself. it's on the control panel with the start/stop switch. it will start and run with this c/b off, but it won't with it reset. oil level & pressure switch are ok.

thanks,

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That tell me that your stator is ok but you do most likely have a short to ground!!!! If you turn everything off does it still "blows" right away? If so you do have a short..... I don't know how savvy you are with electrical work, but you need to do a ohms check from the wire out of the C/B to ground(guessing that the C/B is on the power side) If you have continuity then you have a short! I like to use the last lost method..... Put one end of the meter at the C/B and leave it, then trace the wire with the other probe intel you have no more continuity..... From the point you last had continuity to the point where you lost it, is where the short is.... work you way in....... That is after you do a visual inspection.

Lets start the egg hunt :xmas:

Good Luck man!!!!!! If you need help pm me I'll see if I can help some more!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts