Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it is safe to run RP 15w-40? I am currently running the Mobile 1 5w-40. I can get the Royal Purple very cheap. on the bottle of Mobile 1 it says that it is recommended for 15w-40 applications. Somebody with some info please let me know. thanks

·
500R
2,309 Posts
I was wondering if it is safe to run RP 15w-40? I am currently running the Mobile 1 5w-40. I can get the Royal Purple very cheap. on the bottle of Mobile 1 it says that it is recommended for 15w-40 applications. Somebody with some info please let me know. thanks[/b]
You should be ok as long as you only ride in warm weather. I would say 60*F + and you're good.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
ya u shuld be good..me and a few others i know of run 10w40 which works well right now during the summer..and thats between wut u ran and want to run. Will probly switch to 20w50 in the winter.

·
500R
2,309 Posts
ya u shuld be good..me and a few others i know of run 10w40 which works well right now during the summer..and thats between wut u ran and want to run. Will probly switch to 20w50 in the winter.[/b]
I hope you just said that backwards.... 20w-50 in the winter is WAY too thick.

You do know that the higher the number, the thicker the oil, right? And in the winter you want a thinner oil, not a thicker one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Isn't mobil 1 energy conserving? You shouldn't run an energy conserving oil in these machines...it will say it on the label. As far as oil weight.....I run 5-40 year round.....the synthetic flows much better in cold weather than conventional 10 or 15-40. And yes...20-50 in't even reccomended for these machines...too thick...especially in the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts